Chapter 22: You're Mistaken

Start from the beginning

Zac stares up at the ceiling in defeat before mumbling under his breath grumpily, "Ah sh*t."

"Zac?" The guy asks in question, now uncertain, as if to make sure he's seeing correctly. Zac's reaction clearly took him by surprise. It's only 'cause he caught Zac off guard first.

"You're mistaken, my friend," Zac retorts rudely, trying to take cover and duck out of sight.

I know Zac well enough to know that 'you're mistaken, my friend' means he doesn't want to be recognized. He's avoiding everyone and I'm curious to know why. What pot has he stirred this time? Which bear has he poked? Did he add salt to someone's wound?

"Definitely you, Zac Stokes," the guy concludes with a laugh. He obviously picked up on Zac's famous four words. He proceeds with an ice-breaker, "So where've you been man?" He helps himself to a seat beside Zac.

Zac uses his catchphrase on him, "That's classified. You're not on a need-to-know basis."

"Last time I saw you, here down in Burnsville, was like a year ago," the guy replies, unfazed by Zac's garbage attitude.

I perk up upon hearing his words. I fold my arms over my chest and turn to Zac for an explanation. This is news to me. I wasn't aware that Zac was in Minnesota last year. He never once mentioned it either. I was under the impression that this was his first time being here. He went with what I thought and never bothered to correct me. Why?

Zac purposely ignores my piercing stare and replies back to his old pal instead, "I've been 'round, Adam."

He's always so vague with his answers, it irks me.

Adam, still not noticing me, grins and flashes Zac a devilish smirk, "Been up to trouble again, ey? So I'm presuming - you're always in trouble."

"Again?" I make myself known as I repeat the important word, emphasizing it for Zac so that it gets across his thick skull. He can be a little slow at times when I'm subtle.

Zac says nothing further on the matter, sending his friend a dark glare as if to shut him up. Zac's always gotta play the mysterious card, it reminds me of how Jay used to be. I don't particularly like it.

Adam's gaze meets mine for the first time. He swallows nervously as he puts the pieces together, "This your new girl, Zac?" He questions anxiously, sensing that he stuffed up. Zac is annoyed that his secret, whatever it may be, is slowly being divulged.

"More sidelines girl," I answer for Zac. I stretch over Zac to shake Adam's hand in order to introduce myself properly, "I'm Aqueela."

"Adam," he answers back politely in spite of his scruffiness. His mother raised him right. His only flaw is his poor choice in friends. I guess we're in the same boat after all.

"She's my stepsister," Zac says upon seeing Adam's expectant expression.

"Not actually," I clarify to Adam. Zac rolls his eyes at me being so specific. He hates details. I explain, "Zac's mom - not that I blame her - left my dad, so technically, we're not anything to each other."

"Not even friends?" Adam asks on behalf of Zac.

I glance sideways to see Zac waiting impatiently to hear my answer. I turn back to Adam and shrug, "My opinion on him changes on a daily basis." I spare Zac another glance, "We'd be closer if he didn't lie all the time," I end accusingly.

Zac, catching on that I know he's been up to no good, sighs in dejection, "Aqueela, hear me out-"

I cut off his pleading, not interested in hearing it, "I thought you said that you're done getting yourself stuck in between a rock and a hard place."