I don't love him

Sky's P.O.V.
I groaned as I heard the shrill screeching of my alarm clock. Like nails on a chalkboard. Sub was still out cold, wrapped in the blankets of his bed. How could he stay asleep through this, I had no idea. I sat up and stretched, walking over to his bed. "Sub, buddy, come on. We have school."
I got no response except for him squirming away from me. I sighed.
"Come on. We're gonna be late."
This time the blankets moved around and a clearly exhausted Sub emerged from the fabric cocoon. His hair was extremely disheveled, and his normally bright eyes were dull. He had a look on his face that I couldn't decode. Anger, sadness, or just grumpiness? I was normally good at these things, but Sub was unreadable. Damn it, this kid was strange.
As I got a better look at him, I noticed two...two tear tracks going down his cheeks.
Oh shit. What happened with him?
That's when it dawned on me. He must've heard what I said last night about him. I didn't mean it! I was just trying to get them to go away!
I followed him into the bathroom, where he was simply staring in the mirror. "Hey, you're acting pretty...different. You okay? Anything you need to get off your chest?"
He flipped me off in response. Yep, he heard everything.
"I didn't mean it, you know." I said. This seemed to get a little bit of his attention. He glanced towards me.
"I was just trying to get them to leave. I don't dislike you in any way. You seem pretty cool."
He turned to me, and I swear I knew exactly what he wanted to say.
Prove it.
I smiled a little bit at him. "You might wanna hurry up, by the way. We've got half an hour to get ready."
Sub rolled his eyes, leaving the bathroom and getting a change of clothes. Currently his attire was an old white t-shirt and sweatpants. They were way too big for him. Actually, he looked kind of...
He quickly stopped my train of thought by shooing me out of the bathroom as he returned.
"Okay, okay, I'm going." I closed the door behind me.
I got dressed into a pair of black jeans and a gray hoodie, tying my hair into a ponytail with a white hair elastic thing. What the fuck were they called again? Oh well.
As I was still packing my backpack, Sub came out in a pair of skinny jeans and a neon short-sleeve button down. His hair was still untidy, but it was always like that. He grabbed his backpack and looked expectantly at me.
"I'm not ready yet!" I wailed. Sub smiled a little bit and put his whiteboard in his bag along with a couple of markers. I couldn't help but watch him as he pushed a lock of his dark, dark hair out of his bright eyes.
He walked out of the room, gesturing me to follow. Luckily I was ready to go, and followed him.
~Time Skip~
I saw some kids pointing and laughing at Sub at his locker. Sub was on a different section than me, considering we were a grade apart. I'd decided to visit him to see how he was holding up, and watching this, it was clear this had been going on all day. He was trying to ignore it, but he had tears pooling up in those neon green eyes. I walked over to him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay?" I asked. He nodded, not turning to me. I bit my lip. He was too innocent for this school. People were dicks here. I decided to make those kids leave him alone and walked over to him. Considering I was at least six inches taller than Sub, who was actually a little short for his age, I towered over the kids. "What are you laughing at?" I asked, tilting my head. The kids looked intimidated. "That kid. He can't talk and his eyes are such a strange color." A boy with black hair said.
I looked to the side, though it wasn't visible to them because of my sunglasses. "Leave him alone. I don't wanna hurt any of you, but if I have to, I will. And I'll know if you do it again."
Surprisingly, that was all it took for the kids to nod and back away from me. I walked back over to Sub, who was staring at me with a look of shock and something else on his face. "Has this been going on all day?" I asked. Sub dug around for his whiteboard and scribbled "yes" on it.
"Tell me if they do it again, okay?" I smiled at him. "I'll get them to leave you alone."
Suddenly, Sub hugged me tightly. His tears fell down his cheeks. He didn't say a word, not that he could. I gasped. "S-Sub...?"
He let go, wiping the tears away. "Sorry." He wrote. I blushed and smiled. "It's fine. I'll see you back at the room, okay?"
Sub nodded, looking at the floor.
I walked away, having a strange desire to hug him. But there was no way I liked him, was there? No. I was in love with Ty. I breathed in to try to calm my now rapidly beating heart. I only liked Sub as a friend. He just...startled me, that's all!
I don't love him.