3rd | Sweet Peas & Buttercups

To hopeless romantics, weddings are their final destination; to single people, weddings are their absolute nightmare. Me? I belonged to neither of them.

I was a florist.

"Where do you want the flower stands to be placed, Miss Dalton?" One of the workmen approached me and asked.

I raised my arm and pointed at the entrance. "Place them right next to the couple's photograph."

"What about the small plants?"

"I'll take care of them," I said as I placed the potted plants onto my trolley. "Please be careful with the petals."

"We will."

"I mean it." I turned to the worker. "They're very delicate."

"Don't worry, Miss Dalton." He gave me a reassuring smile. "We've handled a lot of intricate objects."

"But these flowers aren't like glasses." I looked at him square in the eye. "They can be squished very easily."

"We understand, Miss Dalton." He nodded sincerely. "They're quite beautifully arranged."

"Oh, you're too kind!" I leaned back and chortled. "Thank you so much!"

When I finished placing the flowers into the glass jars on the dining tables, I heard the rattling sound of high heels from behind me. Judging from the unsteady rhythm, those noises belonged to Lara Walker – bride of the day.

"Alice!" She gave me a warm embrace. "Where have you been?"

"Well, what do you think?" I drew her attention to the table ornaments. "Ta-da!"

"Oh, wow! These are so pretty." She nodded in approval. "Where are the bouquets for the bridesmaids?"

"They're in Felix's car, but he's still stuck in traffic." I cringed. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Ally. We still have three hours." Lara squeezed my shoulder. "What flowers have you picked out for me here?"

"Sweet peas and buttercups." I grinned proudly.

"Which is which, though?"

"See the golden ones? Those are buttercups." I pointed at the tiny, yellow flowers. "They imply new beginnings, joy, and friendship."

"I like them already." Lara was so excited that she nearly jumped. "So, the velvety ones are sweet peas?"

"Uh-huh. They bring bliss and prosperity."

"Look at how fluffy they are!" Lara flicked the petals with her fingers.

"Oh, be careful!" I swatted her hands away. "I spent an entire day on them."

"Aw, thank you for taking your time." She hugged me again. "I appreciate it."

"I know."

"Now, hurry up and get changed. The groomsmen will be here any second."

"But I'm tired." I sat down on a nearby sofa chair. "I just want to lie down and sleep..."

"Not happening." Lara pulled my arms forcefully.

But my eyes were closed already. "I thought we had three hours."

"No, no, no." She shook my shoulders. "There's someone I'd like you to meet."

"Who?" I opened my eyes in confusion.

"One of the groomsmen!"

"Psh! What's so special about him?"