Prologue

In her lifetime, there was much felicity. She was unaware that such thing was limited. She had no worries or doubts. That was her mistake, for she had let her guard down all her life. The incident took great impact than it should have.

Gathered around the small table, the family of three ate fried chicken with mash potatoes and wine. The family was not wealthy at all. There was no middle class, only the rich and poor. The walls were damp, the ceiling had leaks at times, they sat on the floor, and stole small animals and crops from farms to eat. The wine was taken from the neighbors down in their vaults and casks.

She picked at her food, pouting and looking outside. it was cloudy, gloomy, and rainy. "Why do we live this way...? Why must we steal?" she spoke softly. Her parents stopped and looked at her.

"It's just how this world is now, Reign. War and competition. If you don't fight, you lose.." her mother said to her, disappointed that she spoke the truth. It was not what she wanted for her daughter. The little girl took a bite of the chicken moiety on her plate. She swallowed and turned to her mother.

"Will it change one day?" she said with hope. Her father quaffed from his cup. "We'll make sure of it for you, honey." The girl smiled and so did her parents. She was content.

As they finished up their last bits of food, Reign was dismissed to bed. Her bedroom lied upstairs ; an attic, but it wasn't bad or perfect. Her parents slept downstairs on the couch that can be converted into a bed.

The girl brushed her jet black hair, looking into her small mirror. She put her comb and mirror down on the small stool and hopped into her bed, pulling the blankets to cover her. She stared at the ceiling blank. She began to long for peace, equality, a utopia. She closed her eyes and fell asleep.

A few hours passed. It was a couple minutes past midnight or so. Reign opened her eyes and coughed at the smell of burning. The odor was everywhere. It was foggy.. No, not fog. Smoke, she noticed. She pulled the covers away and quickly got up, calling out to her parents.

"Mom! Dad!" No response was heard. The girl worried and ran down the stairs. The area was falling apart easily in flames - a conflagration - but her parents were no where to be seen. She looked around and suddenly felt something take hold of her and pull her back, covering her mouth. It was her father and behind him her mother. Her mother raises a finger to her lips, gesturing to stay quiet. The girl nodded in fear and stayed behind them. There was a sound. Loud footsteps. Multiple ones. The family hid behind the staircase; it was dark and a wall covered the outside, but they could still peek through the stairs. Up two men went and another two searched the first floor.

"Show yourselves!" one yelled loudly. "We didn't want to have to have done this brutally! We only want the child!" he said angrily.

Tears formed in the little girls eyes, her heart was beating faster and faster, she became pallid. There was silence for a moment. The mans voice stopped. Nothing but the sound of fire crackling. It was like that for about 5 minutes. Reigns father motioned his family to stay put. He walked out, looking around. It seemed to be that the men had fled. As he motioned us to come out, a sword was pierced into his back and through. The men from upstairs came down. Reigns father fell to his knees and on the floor as the sword was drawn out. Reigns mother screamed with tears falling quickly from her face. She ran out, grabbing a piece of wood that had fallen and hitting two other large ones that were nearly going to collapse. The pieces fell and fire spread, blocking the way for the men to pass through. The mother turned to her daughter calling out to her.

"Run, Reign!" she said with tears.

The girl was aghast as the man behind her mother whom had killed her father pierces the sword into through her mother as well. She couldn't move; She was frozen, but began shaking. Her mother fell to the floor and the man started walking over to the girl, trying to get around the fire. She began shaking and shaking faster. Pain grew in her stomach. Her eyes rolled up and she fell to the ground, still shaking. Before her vision blurred out, she could see a tall figure slightly. Trying to keep her eyes still open, she could see all the men falling one by one. The sound was dimmer and her vision went black.

Bright hazel eyes peeked open slightly, then she squinted as a light shone on her face. She was warm: covered with a fluffy, warm blanket in a small wooden bed. Her eyes adjusted to the light; she sat up and looked around. The blinds were open, so the sun lit up the room. There was a desk with inks and pens in a cup and a large map. A large lamp on a smaller table by the bed, with a silver dagger. The handle had a white camellia flower on it. There was also what seemed like a gemmary. The rest of the room had walls made of wood as well as the floor. This was a cabin. It was quiet, peaceful. Reign slowly stepped out of bed, trying not to make any noise. She grabbed the dagger with her two small hands and held it up. She walked cautiously over to the door and turned the knob. She heard sizzling, like on a pan. She could smell food being cooked, hence why there was a sizzling noise. She walked out of the bedroom and stood in front of a somewhat tall man with short, kempt brown hair. He seemed young and had a green jacket with a maroon thin scarf around his neck. He turned around. His eyes were a nice shade of green, his eyebrows were neither thick or thin, and his skin was a light tone.

"Oh, good morning! How do you feel?" he said cheerfully, moving the pan with eggs around.

"... Who are you...?" Reign asked softly.

"Oh, sorry, I should have introduced myself first. I'm Aidan. I mean no harm. What's your name young lady?"

"R-Reign," the girl responded, lowering the dagger she held.

"That's a really pretty name. Have a seat, you must be hungry," he said motioning his hand towards the light brown table in the middle with forks and napkins set up. Reign sat down, placing the dagger near her waiting. As Aidan stirs around the last bit of eggs, he dumps a bit onto two plates. He pours orange juice into two glass cups and takes the plates and glasses over to the table and sits down. He places Reigns plate and glass in front of her. She doesn't hesitate and starts eating. Aidan smiled.

"So, Reign. We're in Everland right now. Do you have any relatives around? I'll take you to them," he said to her. The girl stopped, swallowed and looked at Aidan.

"They're really, really far away... Aunt Kara's in Asgard. Mom and dad are.." she stopped speaking and looked down. "I can't remember... But they're not really here anymore.." Aidan's grew concerned. It was so traumatizing.. That she sealed off the details in order to protect her mind, he thought blinking. "Hey, Reign.. Do you want to go to Eden with me? It's a very pretty place."

"... Eden...?" she looked confused.

"Yes, my faction lies there. We help, care, and fight for the innocent. They're very nice people and I am sure there are kids your age," he smiled. Reign seemed convinced easily, for where else had she to go. She had a home offered, where there was tranquility. She gave Aidan her full trust and nodded, smiling.

Days past as she walked and road boats with Aidan to arrive at Eden. Aidan became someone she can go home to.

8 years later...