When It's Just Too Late

Start from the beginning

She didn’t have to think twice before prying the bed sheets off of her, when a voice halted her from taking a step down the bed.

“Stay there. You’re going to get dizzy with all the thrashing you’re doing.”

Her head snapped towards the direction of the voice, surprised to see Lay standing at the other side of the room in front of a small table, arranging sets of small medicine containers.

“Lay?” she mumbled, and just like what the healer predicted, her head suddenly felt heavy and her sight began to become bleary.

“Here,” Lay walked over to her bed and handed her a glass of water and two pills. “That should help you get back on track.”

Hyerin popped the pills in her mouth and gulped down the water. She handed the glass back to Lay before asking, “What happened?”

“Before you ask any questions look around you first, yeah?”

And so Hyerin did as she was told. Her eyes wandered around the regular-sized room; there were two beds, the one she was sitting on and another one on the other side. In the middle was the table Lay was standing in front of, and to the right was a dual closet. Beside it was the small restroom, while across the restroom was the door leading outside. Everything was black and white, from the furniture to the wallpaper.

“Where are we?” she asked, slightly bothered by the explicit color coordination of the room.

“We’re in M-LX2,” Lay explained, abandoning what he was doing. He went back to Hyerin and sat on her bed.

“Apparently, we have two headquarters – this one specifically for times like these where major problems arise. Everything at M-LX was transferred here including weapons, files and of course, the agents,” he explained. “Apparently, only Zero, your dad, and other higher-ranked agents know about this, so it was quite rushed when everyone evacuated M-LX to transfer here. We’re actually twenty feet below the city so for the meantime we’re safe.”

It felt like so much was going on. Her head was hurting from all this new information. It was stressful how M-LX always had something to hide even from their own agents, but in a way, it was also a good thing.

She shook her head, mouth set into a frown. “How long have I been out?”

“Pretty long. It’s already the afternoon.”

“Oh. Then why are you here?”

“I was just done healing your wounds.” He shrugged. “And I’m your roommate.”

Hyerin raised a brow.

“M-LX2 is relatively small compared to M-LX. There’s not much space for everyone to have their own room.”

“I know,” she sighed. “But its just…it just feels so weird and unfamiliar. It doesn’t feel right to be here.”

“That’s because it isn’t,” Lay said. “Sooner or later Jiyong will find out where were hiding and by then, it really will be a disaster.”

Hyerin stared at Lay with a grim look on her face, having nothing to say about that. It was nothing but the truth.

“On another note, are you feeling better?” Lay asked, his deadpan tone suddenly laced with concern.

“Much better. Where are the others?” she questioned, jumping out of the bed. “Are they okay?”

“Everyone’s just roaming around, trying to get used to the place. Tao and D.O are in the medical center getting treate-”