“I have not seen you all day.” I commented.

    “I know,” he sighed in a troubled manner, “I was called into a meeting that went on far too long. It was so horribly boring but please do not trouble yourself with such trivial affairs, all that matters are you and your shimmering beauty in my arms right at the moment.” I grinned. “How was your day, my love?”

    The smile slipped and I blew some air out of my cheeks as I deliberated but then what did I owe those courtiers? They were disrespectful to their future Queen. I retold the tale and his face set and he paused us in our dance routine.

    “They did that?”

    “Yes, it was most humiliating.”

    “I shall sort them out at once.” He pulled backwards out of my grip. I opened my mouth to protest but then he gave me a look that told me not to say anything and he walked off. I watched after him for a moment before I was swept up with another dance partner, flowing from one to the other as the men kept butting into the middle of my dances.

    Agate stumbled over, a little drunk for wares and I noticed women looking at her with their heads together and mouths hidden behind fans so I looped my arm through Agate’s and led her to the perimeter of the ballroom. “Bonjour Your Highness,” she grinned bobbing her head so that we nearly bumped heads.

     “Agate, am I pleased to see you.”

    “So you should.” She giggled and rested her head on my shoulder. “Looks like I might be having a lucky night tonight!”

    A woman nearby shot her a disgusted look and I blinked at her, forgetting that she couldn’t see I was the Dauphine. “You have to be careful with your words, my friend.”

    “What? I do not care about anything anymore. I cannot possibly care any less, my sweet Dauphine!” I couldn’t tell if she was grinning or grimacing through tears. “My life is so completely worthless and empty anyway.”

    “Oh no,” I turned to look at her with saddened eyes, “no, your life is most certainly neither of those things.”

    She sighed, a sigh that broke my heart. “It is true. Painfully true.”

    “Then you must come and stay with me.”

    “And what would my sweet husband think?” Her voice hardened.

    “I think I can handle a Duc my friend, please, have faith in me. For now just try to enjoy yourself as it is a ball, you’re supposed to be having a fun and good time.”

    “You’re right, you’re right-”

    “My wife,” the Dauphin interrupted and bowed his head to Agate who did a clumsy curtsy to him. “And you?”

    “This is my dearest and closest ally,” I said looping my arm back through Agate’s to show unity, “she’s the Duchess de Toures, Agate.”

    “How do you do,” the Dauphin nodded to her.

    “Very well thank you, Your Majesty.”

    He turned his attention solely on me. “I am terribly sorry but I am just too tired to continue with the festivities…You of course may continue to stay down here but I think I will turn in for the night.” Something fluttered in alarm in my stomach and my eyes searched his with a little fright. He blinked, shocked by my reaction and reached out, tenderly touching my forearm. “What is the matter?”

    “Nothing,” I swallowed down my emotion, “nothing at all my love.”

    “Something is,” he nodded, “I saw the fear in your eyes.”