I danced with a fine young gentleman who claimed that he was from the Spanish army. He danced well, holding me very lithely in his arms. I got rather drunk having the time of my life.

    When it was dark we went out onto the balcony watching the firework display over the palace garden and it was magnificent. “Your Highness,” Someone tapped me on the shoulder. I craned my neck to see a firry red headed girl in an emerald dress. She bowed her head to me, “I am the Duchess de Toures, France. You-You are Princess Rosanna, yes?”

    I tried to work her out but was too drunk so I just nodded tipping more wine down my throat, “I am.” And that was that. The Duchess was nineteen and very friendly. She was married to the fifty eight year old Duke and shuddered at the very thought of him. Talking in French to a French person about France made me remember the Dauphin, Philip. I ended up telling the Duchess about him. My big mouth made even more loose by the cloak of alcohol!

    Her face fell once I had finished, “You have not heard have you?”

    “What?” My eyes clung to her brilliant blue ones desperately, “What do I not know?”

    “The Dauphin is engaged, Your Highness.”

    My heart plummeted just like my jaw. I flicked out my fan, violently airing my face, “What do you mean engaged? To whom?” I persisted, trying to sound light and breezy but I couldn’t. The truth was I was winded, it was as if someone tied my corset that bit too tight.

    “To the princess of Denmark, Your Majesty. Her name is Myrtle.”

    “Myrtle?” I sounded the name out. “Myrtle,” the word curdled, souring the second time like rancid milk. “Princess Myrtle of Denmark.” Why had she come here just to tell me that? It had put a massive damper on what would otherwise have been a glorious day. Even the sun had made a majestic appearance lighting everything up making it look beautiful, “Oh, right.”

    “I’m sorry to have been the one to have told you,” She said bowing her head.

    “Why did you tell me at all?” I asked, sadness morphing all too quickly into irritation.

    “I thought that you ought to know,” She answered quietly, “I’m sorry.”

    “No, no. It’s fine. Just a shock that’s all,” I still could not breathe. “If you excuse me I think one has had enough of the fireworks,” I briskly turned storming away from the Duchess de Toures. I went straight to my chamber where in the room beside it my two maids including Eloisa were sat having a small game of cards. They jumped to their feet, the two maids bowed yet Eloisa did not. I saw her more as an equal than anything else. “Oh, I thought that you would be joining in the festivities,” I spoke flatly.

    Eloisa's rounded face puckered, “What’s happened, Anna?”

    “Nothing,” my voice cracked then I caved in. Begining to cry, Eloisa came over wrapping her arms around me. “Could someone run me a bath?” I asked in a croaked voice and heard feet moving as one of the maids hurried off.

    “What happened, dear?”

    “You’ll think me awfully silly and trivial if I tell you,” I sobbed.

    “Try me,” She spoke patiently.

    I pulled away wiping my eyes with the back of my hand, “You know over a year ago when the Dauphin and I spoke at the masked ball?” She nodded, “Well, he’s engaged!”

    “Oh, poor love,” She soothed, “That’s not trivial. That’s the heart.”

    “I know,” My voice pitched, “It’s just the heart shouldn’t be involved when you get married. You’re there to produce an heir with each other.”