{Ch. 2}

Realization hit me when I recall that there will be an assembly later on this afternoon. To make matters worse, it starts during class - a class that Harper shares me, which means he'll be in close proximity to me for sure. Sadly, assemblies are mandatory and the staff makes sure every student present attends by closely monitoring. Too bad the assembly won't be a Pep Rally, because if it were, Harper would've had to participate in it as an athlete, far away from me. 

After the bell rang, I made my way to first period. I decided to skip my locker and just went straight to AP English 12. I sat at my usual spot in the back and pulled out my needed materials, while placing the books that couldn't fit in my backpack under my desk. This class was next to my favorite class, Theatre, because I enjoy the class readings we do—not so much the atmosphere or the teacher. The classwork oddly makes it worthwhile for me.

Mr. Terrin scribbled down today's schedule on the dry erase board and began to call out names for attendance. I hated this part of his class. It always made me anxious when my name was called out because it felt like everyone's eyes were on me once it was my turn. One time, my voice came out so soft, that Mr. Terrin didn't hear me and marked me absent. As he came closer to calling my name out, my heart violently thumped inside my chest and my breathing grew erratic. It sucks because he calls out the names alphabetically and with my last name being towards the beginning of the alphabet, my name would always be one of the first few ones called out, which doesn't give me enough time to prepare. I don't think there will ever be enough time for for me to prepare.

"Moxwell Drew."

I inhaled deeply and exhaled as calmly (and quietly) as I could and tried to force the words 'Here' out of my mouth, but nothing came out. I felt eyes on me and heard discreet giggles from classmates as I kept my eyes glued on my desk. I attempt to stop the shaking of my hands as I form the words almost inaudibly, "H-Here." Relief washed over me as Mr. Terrin moved on with calling the next name. He heard me. Besides feeling like an outsider in general, this class amplifies that anxiety, since I'm the only junior in this senior class. I was able to sign up for this class since I took a summer of 10th grade English class to get ahead. Everyone else in this class knew each other while I was just.... there. I'm usually fine with not being noticed but this class has an unusual way of making me feel that much more out of place. 

Afterwards, Mr. Terrin went to the center of the class and asked, "Does anyone want to share stories of what they did over Christmas break?" Several hands went up. My attention fell to my agenda. I had nothing interesting to share. Even if I did, I wouldn't share regardless. I would get too anxious and end up looking like a blubbering mess in front of everyone.

Valentina de Soto excitedly told her adventurous story of her vacationing with her relatives in her homeland Venezuela. Deniece Vonn happily expressed her lovely time with intermediate family and having a "cruelty-free" vegan Christmas dinner. Sherée Browning discussed going to Florida with her sister, mom, and stepdad to Disney World over the break. Jeffery Jordan ignited laughter from everyone—even from me—when he told the class about him getting caught stashing the Christmas presents under the tree by his younger sister and he ended up telling her that Santa was too busy to put them under the tree himself. Konnor Polinger made everyone go into an even greater uproar of laughter when he said he dropped the Christmas turkey that his father just finished cooking onto the floor. Everyone had interesting tales of their Christmas break.

My laughter ceased when a classmate, Reese Henry, asked me, "What did you do over your Christmas break?"

Blood drains from my face. Is he talking to me? I flickered my eyes at him to make sure and his sights were all on me. His grin was definitely directed at me and so was his question. "I-I um, just watched Christmas movies with my mom and helped her cook," I answer, nervously. "It was just us."