Chapter 5

Please leave a comment so I know people are interested in me continuing.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I awake to a beautiful morning. A morning, that for the first time in forever, I don't hurt all over. I want to cry, not my usual tears of sadness and fright, but of overwhelming joy at this beautiful morning. I get to leave today. I finally get to get out of this hell, out of this life of pain and misery!

I look around at my bedroom. It's plain. It has no personal keepsakes. Nothing that makes it individually mine. I realize that I never went away last night like I usually do.  My muscles thank me for a night of rest.

I get up and go through my usual routine of taking a shower and getting dressed. I have no wounds to wrap, which will make today much easier.

I go down stairs and make breakfast and my father's lunch. He comes down and eats his breakfast, but unlike usual, I don't go to school. Today we go to the choosing ceremony. It's not for a while, so I go and do the dishes. My father hasn't spoken all morning. He's quiet and reading the newspaper. I pick up his dishes and as I step away my right hand slams into the chair beside it. My right hand was holding his glass and I try to catch it, but with my other hand holding the plate, I can't quite grab it, and it slams to the floor. Shattering.

My father stands up quickly and grabs my wrist. His whole body is shaking in rage. His face is red, and he looks at his hand holding my wrist and slowly eases his grip. He drops my wrist and storms out of the room and up the stairs, still fuming.

I wait for the sound of him coming back down the stairs with something to hurt me, but he never does. 

I clean up the glass and wash the rest of the dishes. It's almost time to go, and I'm worried that he's not going to go, but just as I'm thinking this I hear his door open. He comes down the stairs. Staring me in the eyes as he goes.

"Let's go."

With that we walk out of the door and to the bus stop. Both my father and I stand holding the cold metal poles. I can't help but think of that man from the simulation. The man that I killed for touching me. It's scary to think I have something like that in me.

We arrive at the hub, a tall building with two large prongs sticking up at the top. It feels like the whole city is on its way there. The choosing ceremony is on the same year everyday, but you don't go until you turn sixteen, when its your turn to participate in the choosing ceremony, when you finally get to pick which faction you think you belong in. As all Abnegation we walk up the stairs, everyone else, except the Dauntless, go up the elevator. After the long trek up the stairs we finally arrive at the room where I will choose my future. My future in Dauntless.

_____________________________________________________________

I wait, like everyone else, for my name to be called. This year they are starting with Last Names A-Z. I see some people transfer, but most stay in their own faction. It goes to show that the value that is nurtured is most likely going to overcome nature.

I know the names of most of the participants. They don't know mine, but I know theirs. It comes with being a loner. I always have time to listen, because I rarely speak.

When I hear James Altro's name being called, I can't help but watch closely. I never returned his smile, but he never failed in doing it any way. I would love to know why, more then anything, why he noticed me.

He chooses his home faction of Dauntless. The Dauntless cheer as he is welcomed back home. I would like to think that some day, they would be happy to accept me as their own.