Chapter 4

I wake up from the aptitude test and shot out of the chair. I practically glide to the other side of the room. I'm breathing hard and my pulse is rapid. I just killed a man. He wasn't real, but what if I did that in real life. All because he touched me! All he wanted was to know that guys name. I need to take control of this irrational fear. Not everyone is going to hurt me, but how do I know. I can't even trust my own father.

I look over to Tori who's frantically typing on the computer. I could tell something was wrong. "What were my results?"

She shook her head and rubbed her face, she was obviously flustered by something. "Your results are what we call inconclusive. It means you didn't rule out the four factions you needed to, to get one result. You ruled out Candor and Amity on the bus, but you didn't rule out any of the others completely. You showed Erudite in how you handled the dog, as well in refusing to make a decision without more information. You showed Dauntless and even abnegation in taking a risk for your life with the dog. Then you jumped on the dog to protect the girl. This shows Dauntless and Abnegation. You are prominently all three: abnegation, erudite, and dauntless. We call this Divergent."

I think about this for a minute then I look at her and question, "Then what do I do?"

"Well this is very dangerous. Government, particularly Jeanine Mathews, believe that all Divergents need to be killed. So you can't tell anyone. Not your parents, not your friends, nobody. Got it."

I'm calmed down enough from the simulation that I can immerse comfortably out of the corner I'm standing in. I nod my head and respond. "Nobody."

"Is there a faction you want me to put in for your results, I have to do it manually?"

"I'm not sure whether to pick Erudite or Dauntless. What do you think?"

"Well they're both dangerous picks for a Divergent I'm partial to Dauntless. But I can tell your afraid of something, something that made you freak out earlier. If you go to dauntless, you'll have to face that fear."

I think about what she said and whisper, "I will have to, no matter where I go." I then look at her directly in the eyes and say, "Put Dauntless."

When I get home I start dinner.  I feel like I should be worried. I should be thinking about going to Dauntless. I should wonder. But all I do is go through the movements of making dinner. I think of nothing. I can't think of anything. I just need to get through my last day in this house.

Just as I'm finishing up with dinner. Father comes home. He's absolutely silent. We sit down and eat dinner. He doesn't say anything until after I get up to clean the dishes.

"Leave them. I'll take care of it."

"Thank You." At my words he look at me. He stares at me for what feels like an eternity. Then he gets up. I don't know what he's going to do, and I don't want to find out, but what he does surprises me more then anything. He takes the dishes from my hand and signals for me to go upstairs. I walk up the stairs. I'm almost scared of going up there. Why would he do this? Why is he doing the dishes? Is he going to follow me?

From my bedroom I can hear the sound of dishes clanking. The water is running.  I don't understand. He's actually doing the dishes.

I don't trust him, so I sit on my bed in silence, and I wait. After twenty minutes I hear the pound that indicates his advance up the stairs.

I wait. The anticipation of his decision is filling me with dread. Please don't come in here. Please don't come in here.

He never comes in, and it haunts me. Why? Is he planning to hurt me in the middle of the night? What made him decide to be merciful? HE is not a merciful man. I have scars to prove it. For every mistake I made. For every upset he had. I have a scar. But tonight, out of all nights, he doesn't even touch me. Not even once!

I lay there for hours, listening, waiting, but nothing ever happens. I can hear the sound of his snores through the thin walls of the house. I'm so tired, but I have to stay awake. Just until morning. I can do it. I can do it. Maybe I can't. Maybe tonight I'll get some sleep.