"Since first grade"

Farkle Minkus knew a lot of things heck he knew more then his eighth grade teacher Mr. Matthews but there were some things even the genius with an extremely high IQ couldn't resolve. As he laid back on his king sized bed he began to think, he'd been doing it a lot lately even more then usual, ever since Isadora broke up with him his feelings had been all over the place bursting with so much energy it almost seemed like to much. He didn't know what he should be feeling: anger? sadness? confusion? hurt? heartbroken? he was only fourteen he thought he had a few more years until he was supposed to feel this way. But something had quieted all those feelings as if they had just been silenced, the off switch to his pain, Riley Matthews. The minute she gave him that million dollar smile the one he always had loved his feelings shut up as he held her in her bed nothing else mattered to him but her. He wondered how he'd gotten so lucky to have her by his side.
(Flashback 7 years ago)
Farkle clutched on to his mothers bright orange skirt terrified of what waited beyond the sunny yellow door. His mother smiled at him reassuringly and walked him inside he met his teacher Mrs. Goldsmith and she seemed nice enough she said he could go over and play with the other children on the brightly colored rug but he refused. What if these kids were like the ones at his old school? They made fun of his name and his favorite orange turtleneck and how he always managed to get his work done before anyone else,Farkle felt as if he had to throw up. Then a small brunette girl with twin pigtails and a pretty flower pink dress saw him and ran right over she introduced herself as Riley. Farkle noticed what beautifully brown eyes she had as she tugged on his arm to the carpet where she had pulled out a puzzle and asked him to help. Farkle actually smiled as she told him his name was unique just like her mom's and that tomorrow she would wear her own turtleneck to school so they could match. Farkle couldn't help it he smiled a big smile he finally had a friend! She saw his smile and she giggled at that moment Farkle realized that giggle was his favorite sound in the world and that he loved Riley Matthews.
(Present day)
Farkle shut his eyes and leaned back smiling a secret smile as he thought:
"I loved Riley since first grade"