Interview: @nngabor

Start from the beginning

In terms of my day job, I am fortunately enough to love what I do (writing and editing for a health site). One day, when I'm older, I might want to get my MFA in creative writing, or MA in English, and teach.

Next to writing, my favorite thing to do is to sing. I grew up singing in choirs; if I ever get the time, I'd love to sing again!

The Five Unique Questions:

Question One: On your Wattpad profile, you mention that CATWALK is inspired by your own experiences working as a model in NYC. I've read CATWALK – I'm an avid fan! – and I noticed that the main character, Cat, undergoes circumstances that are far less than glamorous. Do you think that modeling industry has changed since you worked in it? Or does it still have a dark(er) side?

Thanks for the compliment! Fortunately, there has been some progress made in the modeling industry since I left over a decade or so ago. Most of it has started with modeling equity groups popping up in the U.S. and parts of Europe. These organizations are looking out for models, essentially seeking to secure fair and ethical working conditions in the fashion industry -- which, up until a few years ago, had been a totally unregulated industry.

In the U.S., the Model Alliance () has done tremendous work in New York state over the last few years. This group worked with legislators to help pass a law that gives child models legal protections that are afforded to other child performers, like child actors. Child models must retain working permits, have restrictions on working hours, supervision, and other safety measures.

The Model Alliance also offers a partnership with a health insurance provider (since agencies do not offer health insurance for models), and provide free and discreet support services for models who have on-the-job grievances and nowhere to turn.

While great strides are being made in New York, the rest of the country (and most of the world) has yet to catch up.

Question Two: In the same vein: what kinds of policies or procedures have since been implemented to protect models? Do you think these have proved effective?

Much of the work that has been done has centered on protection of child models. In addition to including child models in New York labor laws, the Council of Fashion Designers of America and similar groups in Europe now recommend that fashion designers only employ models age 16 or older.

Model activists want to do away with the practice of "hiring a child to sell women's clothes." By doing so, some of the youngest, most vulnerable victims of the industry may be spared, and the overall perception of beauty may change to represent a more accurate portrayal of women.

Another change in Europe is that more and more countries are putting weight restrictions on models. So, in order to work, they must meet certain criteria that would put models at a healthy BMI. This may help to stamp out the trend of eating disorders in the industry.

So, by changing the laws and the mindset of what is acceptable or appropriate in modeling, I think there could be a lot of positive changes for working models, as well as a benefit to society as a whole if our notions of beauty evolve to a healthier, more realistic portray of women.

Question Three: You are an award-winning health writer. What inspired you to begin writing in the health/wellness field?

I always loved the medical field and learning about science. As a child, I was probably a hypochondriac and looked up every condition I had (or thought I had). Once I was out of college and looking for writing jobs, I began to notice a lot of openings in my area for health and science writers. I applied, got my first job writing for an ocular surgery magazine for doctors, and was hooked! Since then, I've written hundreds of health-focused articles, book chapters, and video scripts. It's exciting because there's always something new and interesting happening where health and science intersect. For example, there are already apps that let you have a virtual doctor visit in real time, and in the near future things like high blood pressure and other symptoms can be tracked via digital devices we wear. Amazing!

Question Four: As an entrant in the Wattys 2015, what other entries have you found that you think have potential to win this year?

There are so many great books that are up this year, it's so hard to choose just one! So, I'll pick two I've had a chance to check out and am excited to read more:

Living With the Choices We Make by Sally Mason @sallymasonxxx

Always the Bride by Lisa Stanbridge @lisastanbridge

Question Five: Best book you've ever read.

Hum...another toughie! There's so many, it's hard to pick! I'll tell you some of the books that most influenced me while writing CATWALK:

Anything by Jane Austen (EMMA is my favorite!)

SISTER CARRIE (Theodore Dreiser)

BRIDGET JONES'S DIARY (Helen Fielding)

THE NAMESAKE (Jhumpa Lahiri)

Thanks so much for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this initiative! I appreciate the opportunity to spread the word about the modeling industry – both the good and the bad!

XOX

Nicole