Chapter 20

We reach the village gates the next afternoon, having travelled faster than Gaara had wanted, but I refused to slow down. We only had to pause a few times to eat and other things. He carried me once because I'd slipped and twisted my ankle, but I recovered shortly after. We greet the guards who let us in without issue. Despite my first instinct to head back to my old apartment, Gaara leads me to the Hokage's office to let her know of our arrival. When the assistant lets us in the Hokage's office, I expect to see Tsunade sitting at the desk with a bottle of sake. What I see is Kakashi with his feet propped on the corner of the desk with his pervy novel resting in his hands.
"Whoa. Scarecrow is the Hokage now? How much has changed since I died??" I turn to Gaara with my jaw probably touching the floor who laughs.
"Remember you were dead for two years. Kakashi became Hokage shortly after the war ended. Nice to see you again Lord Hokage."
"Same to you Lord Kazekage and Lady Kaida." The silver haired man responds, drawing my attention back to him.
"Lady Kaida? I'm not a lady. Well, physically I am a lady but I'm not a royal Lady."
"After your sacrifice in the war your status was elevated to Lady. You were hailed as a hero and your name is written on the K.I.A. stone." Kakashi explains.
"But I'm not a hero, I did what any shinobi would do, lay their life on the line for their village. I don't deserve the title of Lady, I'm not of a high standing and I'm not married to anyone of a Lord title."
"Kaida, I don't think your complaints will change their minds." Gaara mutters, causing me to sigh in defeat.
"Fine, I'll be a stupid Lady. Can we go see everyone now? It's been so long!"
"Of course." We thank Kakashi for letting us into the village before I lead the way back out into the streets.
I pause in front of my old apartment and toy with the key on my necklace. Gaara puts his hand on my shoulder and tells me to unlock the door and that the apartment is still mine. I put the key in the lock and step inside. Everything looks exactly the same only with a thin layer of dust over it.
"I can't believe that I haven't lived here in almost five years. It's strange. It feels like thirty years since I was running through the streets with Ino to invite people to the party she wanted to throw for the exams. That was the day I met you. You were so broody and quiet, now I can't get you to shut up sometimes." I joke, looking up at him.
"You were so loud when I first met you, still can't get you to shut up. I didn't even go to your party, I sat on the rooftop the whole time until I felt that something was wrong. I heard you shouting and sent my sand to save you. Back then I would've let someone get hurt and not think twice about it, but something about you made me change my mind. I felt the need to protect you all the time."
"Well I'm glad it did. Thank you for everything, Love." I kiss him before walking into my old bedroom. My blankets are tossed aside on the bed where I'd left them the day I left for war and my pajamas are still strewn across the floor, but my panda is gone. "It makes it feel so real, that I'd died. I mean, I know I did, but I didn't really experience life without me. It's like time was frozen here where I just never came back home..."
I pick up my stuffed animal and brush the dust away before hugging it to my chest. I wipe away a stray tear and sigh. I turn back to Gaara who is watching me carefully as if I'll break. I offer a small smile to him before pulling a dark green sundress from my bag and going into the bathroom to shower. After I'm clean and dressed, Gaara showers as well then I tell him I'd like to visit the K.I.A. stone before we go see Shikamaru and Temari.

  A/N: The song above, obviously has nothing to do with the story, but I like the song! I just can't watch that video T.T Flashing lights make me feel funny in a bad way >.<