Chapter One

"She's lovely, isn't she?" Alethea crooned as she rubbed the baby's cheek with her knuckles.

King Adolph nodded trying to mask his wariness. Not that he was not pleased that he finally had a child and an heir to his empire, he was just not pleased that it had to be a girl. As he stared down at the girl with bright brown eyes flecked with gold and features that had a promising beauty in the near future, he sighed.

Alethea, his concubine held his knee. "What worries you so?" She asked in concern, her lovely eyes searching his face. He always felt relief wash over him, anytime he looked at her beautiful face but the feeling eluded him tonight.

"Time is not on my side anymore, Alethea. I feel it slipping through my fingers."

Alethea placed her head on the king's knee trying to comfort him. "We have a child now, the least you could do us both now is to smile and be happy."

"You don't understand, do you, Alethea?" The king said. "The kingdom will perish. I have been noticing some strange signs these days, signs I dare not utter from my mouth."

Alethea took his hand and placed a kiss on it. "You worry too much. Try to stay alive for me and our daughter, she needs you."

"I ride for Pragoth tonight for the annual conference. I'll return in a fortnight." He looked down at her lovingly and planted a kiss on her forehead then caressed the cheek of his sleeping daughter.

"What shall you call her?" She asked, looking down at the baby.

"Theresa." He muttered "and I know she'll grow up to be beautiful like her mother." He smiled at Alethea.

"Hmmm...Theresa." She cooed. "I like it." She smiled proudly. "And I hope she grows to combine our gifts."

"I hope so too." He said and sighed again. "Send a maid to inform the queen."

Her smile wavered a bit. She knew the queen despised her deeply all because the king had brought her from the forest to lay with her as a concubine in order to give him a heir. "Is that a good idea?"

Adolph hesitated but nodded. "She will find out one way or the other. Send a message to her."

Alethea smiled. "No... I shall tell her myself. I hope she comes to like me, someday."

The king smiled weakly. "Ursula might be many things but love is definitely not one of her traits. I know I married the wrong woman and the regret eats me till this very minute." He caressed her cheek and glanced at the full moon through the window. "If I wish to arrive at Pragoth early, I have to leave now, my dear."

Alethea snuggled into his arms. "Come back for me sire. Theresa and I would be awaiting your return."

The king nodded, kissed her on the lips, turned and left. She walked to the window overlooking the courtyard and saw him stride out moments later, mounted his horse, and as if sensing she was at the window, he looked up and smiled up at her, the wrinkles on his tired face still evident from the high distance. She smiled back, raised her hand and waved at him slowly. He acknowledged her with a nod and rode out with most of his trusted men and soldiers.

Alethea turned from the window, dreading the meeting with the queen, let alone, giving the news of her birth. She gently carried the baby in her arms to avoid waking her up and walked out of her room heading to the Queen's quarters.

She went up and down several stairs, through corridors lighted by torches to reach the Queen's quarters. She tried to wear a smile of bravery to make her fear as she pulled near. She acknowledged the single guard at the door with a smile and went past him through the double doors.