No Turning Back - A Vampire Diaries Fanfic 19

Start from the beginning

"I never wanted to hurt you, Charlotte."

"Don't. Just go, Damon, go find Elena. She needs you right now."

"Charlotte?"

"Just go, Damon."

Damon looked at her one last time before he let go of her arms and left her alone in the bathroom.

England, 1910

It was a windy night; Charlotte sat alone in her room at a small country inn. She'd been staying here for almost a month now.

She wore a long close-fitting cream satin dress covered by lace which flowed beautifully as she moved. A belt accentuated her waist and pointed matching cream heels finished off her outfit. Her red hair was in tight curls pinned up on one side of her head.

It was close to midnight, and the rest of the inn had eventually became silent. Her curtains open she stared out at the beautiful landscape, the darkness enhancing the trees making them haunting and mysterious. The countryside really was amazing. It was relaxing and peaceful and this was what she needed, to spend some time alone, no distractions, no one telling her what to do; just nothing... she didn't want to be reminded of her of her past... or the people who had been in it.

Suddenly, the silent night was cut by a man singing, the sound coming from outside not far from her window. She looked through the glass; straight ahead through the trees was a man. He was sitting on the grass just behind a stone wall.

Bored and wide awake due to her recent meal she decided to investigate.

She walked through the trees following the direction of his voice, the singing grew louder. Soon the voice was clear.

"I'm a man who's loved, who's lost, who's made some grave mistakes. I'm a man who's not ashamed to feel," the man sang. His voice rather good despite the slight slurring of his words. It was clear he was a little drunk.

She held the sides of her cream coloured skirt as not to get it dirty and she approached the wall.

The man continued to sing. "I see her face and I know I'll be alright."

Charlotte threw one leg over the stone wall and stepped down onto the other side. She stood behind a tree and peeked round at the man. He was tall, with full lips, dirty blond hair and mysterious dark eyes. He couldn't have been older than eighteen or nineteen.

He wore a simple white shirt and brown pants. His arm muscles very defined were visible beneath the thin fabric. Beside him was a bottle of whisky and on his lap a tatty notebook and pencil, she realised he was in the middle of writing the song.

"I don't know where my path ends, yet it doesn't matter. All I need is her," he continued.

He put his book down on the grass beside him and placed a cigarette between his lips and lit it. He inhaled deeply and looked up at the sky. He held the cigarette in the corner of his mouth and picked up his book again, scribbling across the page.

Charlotte took a step towards him wanting a better look at this fascinating man but she stupidly stood on a branch. It snapped under the heel of her shoe, she quickly hid back behind the tree. The man instantly jumped up.

"Who's there," he shouted. He took the cigarette out of his mouth and looked in her direction. He took a step forward. "Someone there?" he asked again.

Charlotte sighed and took a step away from the tree. "Hello, sir, your song is very beautiful," she said.

"Thank you, miss." He smiled and bowed exaggeratedly.