#13: promise to leave me alone

Start from the beginning

It was quiet for a bit. I think Luke was trying to take in everything he had heard, or maybe he was preparing a nasty comment about what a push over I was.

"Katherine just gets everything she wants, doesn't she?" Luke finally muttered in a bitter tone.

"She didn't ask me to do anything." I felt the need to defend my friend, regardless of how bitchy she had been lately. "She had no idea why I really broke up with him."

"You've got to start putting yourself first more." Luke sighed quietly before he wrapped his arm around my waist and tugged me closer. "Please, just try to respect yourself a bit more. You don't have to constantly put your friends over you."

I was a bit surprised at the serious demeanor Luke had donned so I nodded slowly. He seemed satisfied with my answer, because a second later he was pressing his lips to mine.

It was soft, slow and relaxing. Nothing like our previous kiss but just as good. I found myself melting into his arms before he pulled away and rested his forehead against mine.

"Should we go play some games now?" I asked softly, knowing Luke wouldn't want to talk about what was happening between us. As much as he cared, he wasn't one for emotions.

"Sure," he grinned before wrapping his arm around my shoulder and directing me towards the clown stall.

I was about to hand my money to the guy when I spotted Katherine and some guy. Speak of the devil, I thought idly. Hoping she was over whatever mood she had been in, I quickly waved but she must've have seen me.

"Katherine!" I called out her name with a smile but it dropped slowly as she turned around and met me with a cold stare.

"What?" She sighed like I was being a nuisance and looked at me like I was dirt under her shoe. I could feel my face falling as my heart sped up. Why was she so mad? I swallowed slowly, about to apologise for whatever I had done but it was Luke who spoke up.

"Michael?" He scrunched his nose up, clearly recognizing the guy next to her. Oh, this was Michael? His best friend?

"Luke," The white haired boy grinned with ease. "I didn't think you'd be here. You said you were watching movies at Arizona's."

"He got hungry." I explained absently, my focus more on the thick tension.

"What the hell are you doing with Kat?" Luke asked quickly, his eyes on Katherine. Was that a look of betrayal? And what the fuck was this 'Kat' thing?

"Hanging out?" Michael seemed as confused as me. "Why? What's wrong?"

"You're hanging out with my best friend?" Luke shot Katherine a disgusted look.

"You're hanging out with mine." Katherine seemed smug. "It's called revenge."

teach me to be innocent, l.hemmingsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara