Day 263: Growing

Hope you enjoy

UNEDITED

July 24, Thursday

Nyle was mowing the lawn with the mower. I was walking behind him, making sure that the children that I was watching did not get to close to the mower. He had started to mow the lawn thirty minutes ago, but he was barely half way done (he wanted to make sure that every bit of the lawn had short grass).

"Ms. Scott?" a little boy asked me, tugging on my shorts. "Can I go inside and get some lemonade, please?"

I bent down and picked him up in my arms, "Sure thing, Lewis." I turned to the other four kids, "Time for a snack break. The last one in is a rotten egg!" Being a couple of feet away from the door, I figured and Lewis and I were safe. Holding him closer to me, he opened the door for the both of us to enter my grandma's house. I placed him on the floor and he ran into the kitchen and got the seat at the end of the table.

The other kids ran into the house and sat around the dining table as I poured the lemonade into five glasses.

"What is for snack, Ms. Scott?" Georgie, short for Georgina, asked me when I set down her lemonade in front of her.

After I put down the last glass on the table before I finally answered her. "When my grandma comes back from the grocery, I will tell you. At the moment, it will most likely be crackers and chess. Is that okay with all of you?"

Lewis and the boy sitting next to him shrugged their shoulders. After being around the kids for two weeks, I had gotten to know how their personality was and what type of things they liked to do. And food. Lewis and Troy would eat anything that I set in front of them. One out of the other two girls, stuck her tongue out but noticed that I was watching her immediately apologized. The two girls nearest to me said yay and changed the conversation.

It took them a few minutes to get into their lemonade but they were finished within five minutes. Soon, I heard their stomachs start to growl and start complaining about being hungry.

"Okay, let's get to know each other better," I sat down on the other end of the table, looking at Lewis. "What is your middle name Lewis?"

His cheeks started to gain a tinted pink and he looked down at the table. "Dale. Lewis Dale." He glanced around the table and looked at Troy. "What is your favourite toy to play with?"

This kids have no idea how to get secrets out of their friends.

"My hot wheel cars," the five year old answer.

And the questions went like that. They were all asking each other basic questions, Georgie asked my middle name question to Rose. Turns out her middle name was Iris, and then I felt sorry for her. At least her last name was not a flower.

After a few rounds, it was Georgie's turn again. "Ms. Scott," she used her innocent voice, "have you ever had a boyfriend, like a prince? A Charming to your Snow?" Being the oldest one out of the group, nine years old, she was the one that was most dream land. Imagining what it would be like when she grew older.