Chapter 12.1 The Great Unknown

ابدأ من البداية

She felt exposed.....naked.  

Then there was the diamond necklace shimmering around her neck, along with matching diamond earrings. Once more, they were gifts from Matteo.

Nervously, she combed her hair using her shaking fingers. Matteo took her hands in his. He surprised her. She jumped. He must have felt it because he gave her a look. 

"Calm down," he warned though he smiled for public use. "You'll do fine."

"Some things can't be bent to your will. Kahit ikaw pa ang pinaka mayaman at makapangyarihan." She smiled for a show, too. Though she was far from happy.

Why did he have to look so deliciously handsome in his tuxedo?

He offered her his arm. His smile was charming. "Shall we join the others?"

Sarah felt like Cinderella. Except she was arriving on the arm of the handsome prince.

She had known her world was so different from Matteo's but not until stepping into the ballroom did that reality hit her hard.    

She was aware of the gentle buzz that Matteo was drawing, especially from the young female party as they walked inside the Island Ballroom.

She had a strong urge to spin on her stiletto heels and stomp out, go home, and change into a loose T-shirt and jeans.

She opened her mouth to tell him exactly that when Mr. and Mrs. Chang welcomed them. Sarah smiled with difficulty.

"You two lovebirds enjoy," said Mrs. Chang. "Help yourselves."

"Xiè xie nǐ, Mrs. Chang," Matteo said with a smile.

He sling an arm about Sarah's shoulders and said. "Let's check out the appetizer table, Miss Beautiful. Nagugutom na ako."

*****

At the far end of the hall, a stage ran the entire width of the room. A small orchestra played softly while couples danced.

Matteo stood, bending over her and drawing her to her feet before she could protest. "You can't come to the party and not dance," he said in a whisper.