Chapter 12.1 The Great Unknown

The next few days were challenging and demanding. Sometimes exciting and other times difficult. However, they had accomplished what they came for.

"You two have some fun," said Mr. Chang, a shipping tycoon and owner of one of the largest shipping companies in the world, with a fleet of 180 ships. "Forget work. It's Chinese New Year."

"Xiè xie nǐ, Mr. Chang. We'll be there." Matteo said after signing the agreement of his latest business enterprise.

Matteo had committed them to a party, a formal affair being held at the Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore near the renowned Orchard Road shopping and business district. Those in attendance would be the city's social elite and country leaders.

Sarah was not looking forward to the occasion.

"Alam mo, hindi mo naman kailangan dalhin pa ako dito," Sarah said. "Matteo, iba ako sa'yo," she said finally.

"It's the difference that has me up at two in the morning having cold showers," he said huskily.

The confession was unexpected and as her gaze met his again she saw the raw hunger in the dark male face.

"Matteo, nakatira ako sa isang squatter area, at ikaw.....you're all around the world. You just want an affair, isang libangan kapag bumisita ka....."

"No, mali ka. Higit pa diyan ang gusto ko," he said softly. "You have got into my head, my bones, and my blood. I have never been so obsessed with a woman before, Sarah."

She stared at him.

"But I have to be honest too," he said. "Women always complicate things by talking about love, when what they really mean is passion, and desire."

Sarah took a deep breath before she said, "Hindi ka naniniwala na ang dalawang tao ay maaaring magmahalan at mabuhay ng maligaya magpakailanman?"

He made no comment.

The elevator doors opened and they stepped inside. Their ride to the Island Ballroom and the private Chinese New Year's eve party was quiet and tense.

After stepping out into the hallway, Sarah slightly lifted her long gown that touched the floor. 

She took plenty of deep breaths. She was trying to prepare herself for the great unknown.

Earlier she had second thoughts about the black and gold corset gown Matteo had chosen for her to wear. The strapless, body-hugging fit, floor length creation laced up the sides and front like Victorian underwear, pressing her breasts upward.

 The strapless, body-hugging fit, floor length creation laced up the sides and front like Victorian underwear, pressing her breasts upward