prologue

The police lights flashed across the yard as Charlotte climbed down the side of the house.

This time they hadn't been so discrete.

The blaring sirens cut through the small, quiet street. Neighbors emerged from their houses, confused by all the commotion. She felt bad for them, but this had to be done. Charlotte pulled her hood up and quickly descended.

Thank God this house had ivy growing up the sides, or she wouldn't have been able to make her grand escape. Her feet hit the ground with a thud, and she stayed in the shadows, watching the policemen come out of their car and knock on the front door. A woman in a pink robe with curlers in her hair screamed about how some delinquents had released five raccoons in her house. Her face grew red as she described how they tore up her son's room and bit him.

Charlotte giggled to herself, imagining Connor O'Brien being attacked by hungry raccoons. Her joy was cut short by someone shouting into her earpiece.

"CHARLOTTE HANSEN GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!"

She rolled her eyes, turning down the volume. "Relax, the cops can't even see me."

"Can't see you? You're right there out in the open! You might as well have a flashing sign on your head that says 'arrest me please'!"

Charlotte sighed as a cool breeze blew over her, ruffling her clothes and taking off her hood. Fall had always been her favorite season. What she had failed to notice was that her face was now exposed.

"...and you're taking a huge risk. I mean you've done stupid things but this is by far the most idiotic- hey are you even listening to me? Charlotte!" the voice snapped her out of her daze.

"Yeah yeah I'm stupid and reckless, I get it. I'm heading back now." She responded, turning around to leave.

"Good. We've taken way too many risks tonight and I'd like to avoid getting handcuffed."

Charlotte blew a piece of strawberry-blonde hair out of her face and stuffed her hands in her pockets, starting to walk away from the house.

"Hey who's that over there?"

She made the horrible mistake of turning around, realizing just too late that her hood was down. A policeman pointed at her, narrowing his eyes.

"Is that a high school student?"

So Charlotte did what any sane person would do. She turned around and broke into a dead sprint.

"Charlotte! Who was that? Was that a cop? If that was a cop I'm gonna kill you! Charlotte Hansen you're a dead woman. I told you to leave! You better run faster than you do in gym class or else you're done for. Charlotte? Charlotte!"

Maybe we should start from the beginning?