Chapter 1: Listening

Listening is a very important technique when impressiong, and also learning accents. It makes it easier to be a character. You not only look at their pronunciations, but also what kind of voice they have: for example a rough voice like Rick from Rick and Morty, or a screechy voice like Lemongrab from Adventure Time.
Another thing to listen out for in a character's voice is weather they would sometimes do noises in the middle of sentences or if they stutter etc. Rick is a very good example, in his voice he would sometimes cough, occasionally stay on a letter for longer than you usual would, and has the odd stuttering once in a while.

Techniques for accents work quite similary, although you mostly listen to their pronunciations. Scottish is a good example:
"Brick", in Scottish: "Breck"
"Th" at the start of a sentence is just pronounced with a "t": "three", would be "tree" and so on. I hope I didn't affend.

If need be, you can practice an impression by first starting off with pronounciating like the character, then any noises etc they do when they talk, and then the tone.
An example is Harley Quinn.
•Start with a sort of New York/Jersey accent.
•Bring out certain letter: by that I mean like the way Harley says Batman: "B-Man" she says some letters quite strongly.
•Mix the high pitch and excited tone with the accent.

I hope this helped and thanks for reading the first chapter.
-Donnie