Chapter 4 - Down to the Basement

The Saturday morning after the weird conversation in the library found Gran, Mr. Ryan, Ivy, and I sitting around the table in the small dining room, eating breakfast. A lodger at Gran's received meals included with their room. I hadn't eaten the same thing twice, and all the food was delicious. Ms. Mopat, the tall dark-haired woman who cleaned for Gran, was also the cook. I'd said 'Hi' to her in the hallways a few times, and had gotten a nod in response, but had yet to hear Ms. Mopat say a single word. I didn't know if she couldn't speak, or chose not to.

"Will you be leaving us next week?" Gran asked Mr. Ryan.

Mr. Ryan set down his cup of coffee. He looked more alert than he had at our other breakfasts together.

"No, I'd like to book my rooms for the summer, if they're available?" he said.

"There is ample space if you wish to stay. I am expecting other boarders, but not a full house. I thought your current contract was complete."

Gran spread raspberry jam across a slice of toast.

"The job is done except for the mopping up, but I'm taking the summer off to focus on things I've let slide." Mr. Ryan smiled at Ivy. She'd been watching him like a hawk as he spoke. He turned back to Gran. "Do you know of a gym nearby? I plan to start working-out again."

"There are no gyms or fitness clubs in the area," she said. "The town couldn't support one."

The nearest town was miles away, and, according to the internet, had two hundred and seven residents. I'd researched it, hoping to find something—anything to do, and been left disappointed.

"However," Gran said, picking up her toast, "we have a small gymnasium in the basement."

"Really?" I asked. What else did the place have?

"Yes, a former long-term guest was quite a fitness fanatic and claimed the gymnasium as his own. No one has opened the room in years. I have many rooms that never get used." Gran frowned. "He left his heavy equipment. Young Andrew asked if he might store the equipment for a time, but didn't come back for it. Until this morning... I'd forgotten all about it."

"I'll go have a peek after breakfast," Mr. Ryan said.

"Jack, you'll help Mr. Ryan clean the room," Gran said.

"What? Why do I have to help?"

"That's unnecessary," Mr. Ryan told Gran. "I'm happy to take care of it. You're doing me a huge favour."

Thank you, Mr. Ryan! I thought. That was a close call. I had an appointment with the surrounding forest.

"Jack will help you," Gran said with a note of finality. She turned my way. "You left Ivy to finish the garden alone in the rain yesterday."

"But I already finished my half!"

"A gentleman helps a lady when the opportunity presents itself," Gran said. "Laziness isn't a desirable quality in a young man."

For an old lady, Gran could sure stare you down.

"Fine," I said.

The worst part was the delighted expression on Ivy's face.

***

I met Mr. Ryan at the top of the basement stairs. I hadn't been down to the basement or up to the attic yet. After a week, I still hadn't finished exploring the three main levels. Something always side-tracked me when I went wandering around the house.

The basement door was a heavy, ironbound oak monstrosity, opening onto a wide, dark staircase. The stairs looked spooky until Mr. Ryan flipped the light switch. After that, they just looked excessively fancy for basement stairs. I followed him as he descended. There were a fair number of cobwebs on the wood panelled walls and ceiling. It didn't look as if Ms. Mopat cleaned down there.