20| Honesty is the best policy

Four times in one night have to be a new record, Alyssa thought, curling her fingers around a mug of fresh coffee. Ethan had woken her twice more in the middle of the night. Once soft and gentle, the other—hard and breathless with his mouth hot on her body and fingers stirring deep inside her, as if he knew exactly where to touch to drive her crazy.

She couldn't recall the last time she'd had a man at her all night long. So eager to have her over and over and over again, as if he couldn't get enough.

They'd tumbled headlong into sleep somewhere around the ridiculous wee morning hours before the cresting of dawn. At some point Ethan had crawled out of bed, kissing her before he left. Muttering something about breakfast.

Seconds after he'd left, the bedroom door winged open and Cleo—not at all pleased that her side of the bed had been usurped last night—made a point of letting Alyssa know it by flopping unceremoniously across Alyssa's head. Giving her no choice but to get up or suffocate between feline and pillow.

It had taken her another five minutes to drag herself out of sleep, but when she did, Alyssa was surprised by how relaxed she felt. How...refreshed. The coffee helped though, banishing the lingering vestiges of sleep and lethargy. At seven in the morning, she was already behind her usual schedule and should have been finished at the gym by now, but figured last night had certainly earned her to privilege of a late start.

Smiling to herself in thought and memory, Alyssa toyed with her phone, combing through emails—and was constantly jolted by how sluggish her account was of late. Once upon a time, not so long ago, she couldn't go an hour without coming back to find dozens of incoming correspondence. She'd managed several projects at once, and there was always a fire somewhere she'd had to stomp out to keep things on schedule.

Now...aside from junk mail and the occasional message lobbed her way in error, nothing.

Why wasn't that as depressing as it sounded? Or maybe it was only she was too blissfully sated to care at present. Sex with a handsome man who delivered orgasms like they were pizzas kinda made everything else seem inconsequential. Less.

And always a woman for timing, her phone chimed with an incoming message from Indy.

Alyssa smiled at the message, tears she couldn't explain searing the back of her eyes as she typed out her response: