9| Traditions

They all clamoured into the vehicle and Alyssa squeezed in the back between Hailey and Lucy, her stomach roiling and sour despite the delicious smells wafting from the trunk. The drive had been a brief ten minutes but the seconds stretched into what felt endless and exhausting. Now more than ever she wished she'd had elected to drive to Eva's rather than walk, but was softened by Lucy who, smiling, reached over to hold her hands. Little pudgy fingers wrapped tightly around hers. That tiny, firm grip being the only thing that held her together.

As far as first impressions went, the Davies home was a sight to behold. Certainly larger than Eva's with a grand front veranda that wrapped all the way around. Blue shutters over large windows, the siding painted white and grey. A garden, lovingly tended, spilled along the front of the home, framed by aged Maples that blazed in autumn golds and reds.

As the girls ran on up to the house, Alyssa helped Eva and Marshall manage the bags, carting the booze and a large covered tray into the heart of the Davies home. Inside was abuzz with people. More than she had thought to see or knew how to handle. But it was a family holiday, after all. Only made sense that the home would be filled with family. Though having come from a small one, Alyssa always found herself uncertain and baffled by these large, bursting at the seams type of gatherings.

As a child she'd been envious of her friends who had a houseful of brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles and cousins, listening to all their stories she'd often wished to know what that would feel like. But those childhood dreams were long since dead and buried. She'd learned to accept that was never going to be her life and she'd been content with merely her sister and her girls until they were all unceremoniously taken away from her.

As Eva guided her to the kitchen dozens of people approached, interrupting their progress with smiles and hugs and hellos. Alyssa struggled to keep up with all the faces and names, smiling and nodding at the slew of introductions. It seemed an eternity before they finally made it to the kitchen where music streamed with the punctuated bass of Tupac.

A slender woman stood over the stove, a cap of pewter curls cut in a wedge around her ears bopped to the music, singing along to the words with a hand waving as she did. At Eva's 'hello' she spun around with a smile. Bold blue eyes in an expressive face that was all character and charm. Reaching for a towel, she wiped her hands before embracing Eva with a firm, enthusiastic hug.

"Oh, you're here. Wonderful. Turkey's just about ready."

"Great. We brought the things you'd asked for. And, this," Eva turned to Alyssa, reminding her at that she was in fact in the room and this was all really happening. "This is my sister."

"Um. Hi," Alyssa managed, setting down the bags and tray on the small table all ready overburdened with covered dishes of food.

"Oh, my dear it's so lovely to finally meet you." Lottie hugged her hard and fierce as she had with Eva but Alyssa was numb. Unfeeling. Everything about the Davies home, though warm and inviting was more than she was prepared for or expecting. She had banked on having some private time with Eva and her nieces, not to be inundated with a slew of strangers she didn't know or care to know.

The last thing she wanted was to have to compete for more of Eva's attention much as she had been all week. The kitchen door swung open and Marhsall spilled in with Jenelle, the pair of them laughing and teasing as siblings often do. Jenelle's arms snaked around Ethan's neck.

"Mom, look who's decided to grace us with his presence?"

Ethan's lips quirked into what Alyssa assumed was his version of a smile, tickling Jenelle until she released him.