What Is Love?

• Dedicated to Rimsha Duerre

 We were standing in a room I had never seen before: it was a small room with ruby red walls and large tapestries draped from the ceiling. Pansy was draped over Draco, who looked slightly annoyed, but wasn't protesting. Her arms dangled around his shoulders, her lips dangerously close to his neck, her figure molded against his. And when she turned toward me, she was smiling an evil smile. A smile that could curdle milk and cause small children to burst into tears.

"What the devil is going on here?" I shrieked, thankful that the room was soundproof. Draco jumped at the noise. His eyes had been closed, but they shot open so wide you'd think they were going to fall out of his head.

"Rimsha! Thank goodness you're here. I don't know how but Pansy-"

"She couldn't get in Draco. Only you and I knew, and I certainly didn't tell her how to get in."

"You see, Rimsha, it's really quite simple. You obviously didn't tell me, and Draco had something to say. Fit the pieces together yourself," she sneered. I shook my head. He wasn't cheating. It wouldn't have gone on this long even if he was which he wasn't.

"No. He wouldn't," I turned my head back towards him, "would you?" I questioned. He shook his head and sharply turned back to her.

"Hold your tongue! This is none of your business, and you don't belong here. Tell whoever sent you too..." he faltered. "...too..." I looked at him puzzled. His eyes blazed with fury, and he shook her off of him and ran to me, clutching my hands to his chest. "I won't leave her! Not without a fight!" I cringed at his outburst, and tried to pull away to no avail.

"Let me go! That hurts!" I looked up at him with fear in my eyes. He didn't seem like the misunderstood boy I had met a few months ago. Something had changed him, morphed him into this. "I don't know you anymore." I wretched my hands away from his, scraping my wrist on something he held in his hand, and catching it on my finger. He looked down at my hand, and his eyes softened.

"I'm sorry. Let me look at that." I backed away from him until my back hit the door. Keeping my hands behind my back, I twisted the knob while still holding the piece of metal that scratched me. "I don't know you anymore, and I don't think I want to." I turned around and pushed the door open; leaving the scene that was unfolding behind me.

Draco's POV

"How did you find out about this?" I shouted at Snape once I had entered his study.

"I have my ways, Draco," he replied enigmatically.

"But I was going to tell her-"

"I know perfectly well what you were planning on saying, boy. And the Dark Lord will not have it. She's getting in the way." He folded his spidery fingers together in front of him and glowered at me.

"What am I supposed to do? Cast her aside and focus on something I was forced to do?" My hair was ruffled from running there. I hadn't even stopped to think about what Pansy might have been doing.

"Do not ask such petty questions, child. It is no business of mine what you do to her, but she mustn’t stay with you."

"No. I'm not going to abandon her. Not for something as stupid as-"

"Your life? Well then, what about hers? Are you willing to risk the health of your family, yourself, and that girl?" I paled. I'd put myself on the line any day for her, but I couldn't have her do the same for me.

"I love her...How can you dare allow me to give her up when you don't know what the meaning of love is yourself?" I screamed. He stood up at once, drawing his wand at me.

"Don't make assumptions on things you don't know and haven't bothered to investigate, boy. You don’t know the meaning of the word love and yet you use it so freely." He points toward the door. "This is not up for discussion or change. Now go you ungrateful weasel!" I opened my mouth trying to form words but none came. Eventually I just shut up and left. This wasn't over; not yet.