Chapter 21: The Talk

Depuis le début

We go back and forth answering each other's questions until the sun comes up. Dean walks down the stairs while we were talking about our favorite animals.

"Are you serious?" I ask, laughing. "I never would have guessed your favorite animal was the koala. I was expecting something like, a bear. Something scary, not cuddly."

He laughs and shakes his head. "Hey. Koala's are known to be pretty aggressive."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever," I say and turn to Dean, still laughing. "Good morning."

Dean smiles at me and heads towards the kitchen. "Morning," he says. He then comes back out with a glass of water. "How long have you two been up?"

I look at the clock. "I've been up all night," I say.

"Same here," Derek says. We both look down at our hands and I hear Dean sigh. 

"You two doing alright?"

I shrug. "We will be," I say.

"Eventually," Derek adds and he stands up. "I'm going to go shower. I'll see you later, Emma."

He then leaves and Dean looks to me with a questioning look. "What?" I say.

"I thought you liked Michael?"

My eyes go wide. "Dad!" I groan.

"Hey, I'm being serious. I like Michael. I don't know what I think of this Derek guy."

I stand up and start heading to the kitchen. "I don't like either of them that way," I say and make a bee-line for the coffee maker.

"It's okay if you do," Dean says. "I mean, just as long as you're not... You know. And if you are, if you're being safe-"

"Dad!" I say, completely mortified. "Mom and I already had that talk a long time ago."

Dean shrugs. "Well," he says, not meeting my eyes, his cheeks redder than mine and I can't help but laugh. "That was your mother and I figured since I'm your father I should-"

"I'm not having sex," I say and Dean chokes on his water. "And I'm still a virgin. I plan on staying that way for a long time."

Dean nods, still not looking at me. "Good," he says, taking a drink of his water. "Good talk. I'm going back upstairs to clean up."

I laugh as he quickly leaves the room. Sam enters and he looks back the embarrassed Dean and then to me. "Everything okay?"

I nod and keep laughing. "Yeah. Dean's just trying to be a dad."

Sam laughs. "How'd that go?"

My cheeks redden. "Mortifying."

Sam opens the fridge, still laughing. "He'll get the hang of it," he says.

I pour my coffee and start leaving the kitchen. "I kind of like this, though," I say, laughing. I sip my coffee and head up to my room. I close the door and change into a pair of black jeans, a white tank top, and red, plaid flannel. After doing my makeup and brush my hair, I leave my room and head outside.

Dean stands out there, his hands in his pockets. "What are we doing today?" I ask.

Dean looks at me and his face goes red. I laugh at how he is still embarrassed about our earlier conversation. "I thought you could try shooting some more today. I think you're starting to get the hang out if."

I nod and pick up the caliber. I aim it at my target and shoot. It hits the side of the can, not going through, but at least I hit it. That means I'm getting better with my aim. We continue doing that for about an hour. When done, I am covered in sweat from the summer sun and my hands cramp up from holding the gun for so long.

We head inside and I collapse on the couch, relieved to be inside the air conditioned house. "Hey," Carter says, sitting down next to me. "I saw you practicing outside. Your aim is getting a lot better."

I smile at her. She's really pretty. Her blue eyes really seem to pop under her white eyeshadow and long lashes. She wears a light blue button up and white shorts, her black hair tied back out of her face. I notice a long gash line on her inner thigh, but don't say anything.

"How are you doing?" I ask after a while.

She shrugs. "I'm doing better, I think," she says. "Still getting nightmares, though."

I nod. "We all are," I say.

Dean then comes in. "Emma? Can I speak with you for sec?"

I smile to Carter and follow Dean back outside onto the back porch. "Yeah?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Can we keep our conversation from earlier to ourselves?" He asks. "I don't know what came over me and I realize that now that was an invasion of privacy-"

"Dean," I say, cutting him off. "It's okay. I won't say a word." He smiles and I hug him. "I love you, too," I mutter, not sure if he heard me, but it didn't matter. We pull away and he smiles. I walk back into the house and sit back down with Carter. We turn on the TV and watch cartoons together, neither of us saying anything. After awhile, I feel my eyelids grow heavy and I fall into a deep sleep.