Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Darkness circulated in my mind. I couldn't see anything. I didn't even know if I was alive, or dead. I could feel nothing. All my senses were blocked. It was as if I was cut off from my wolfish side. Not even my basic human senses would pick up, or allow me to hone them. I was surrounded by darkness and shadow. The shadows suffocated me, pulling me under, until suddenly I could see.

~

As I opened my eyes I could see the light, blinding and bright. Igroaned and rolled over on something soft – a bed? This bed was so soft, the pillows so fluffy beneath my head. Suddenly I felt something brushing my cheek, and I let my eyes flutter open slowly, waiting for the onslaught of light again, but it never came. Instead, a face was looking down at me.

I recognised the face as the man smiled, his dark eyes flickering over my face, his fingers brushing my dark hair from my eyes, lingering on my cheek. "How are you feeling?" he murmured, that deep voice husky and sexy. It sent shivers down my spine. He just smiled, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "You're so beautiful," Chase whispered gently, looking into my eyes. "So, so beautiful."

I'd imagined this moment so many times. I'd imagined him holding me and cherishing me. I'd imagined him just being with me like this. This couldn't be real.

He just smiled, pressing another kiss to my forehead. "I love you, Ashley," he murmured, kissing my cheek. "I love you so much."

Shock shot through my body as he pulled back, his eyes studying my face. I didn't know what to say. The shock of his revelation was still sinking into my muddled brain. Suddenly I noticed his face contorting to one of pain as he pulled back, his eyes withholding the same ache. "I see," he murmured. "You don't feel the same. I know that now. You'll never love me."

He got up and walked away, and I sat up, trying to call for him, but it was as if I had no voice. He just continued walking away, and all I could do was watch as my heart broke and the world tilted, succumbing to darkness once more.

~

"Hey, Ash! Wait up!" a voice called from behind me. I turned to see Chase running to catch up to me. "Why are you avoiding me?"

I frowned. "I'm not."

"Don't lie to me," he growled, his tone becoming hostile. Fear shuddered down my spine all of a sudden as he grabbed me and slammed me back against a wall. My eyes widened as I stared at him in shock. "I can tell when you lie. You know I don't like hurting you, Ash, but if this is the only way to teach you to respect me, then so be it."

I suddenly felt his claws digging into my skin, and I whimpered in pain. His words hurt like a slap to the face. What had gotten into him? I didn't understand where all of this was coming from. Why was he being so cruel? What had happened to my best friend?

He narrowed his eyes, and I watched them turn crimson. But before he could lash out again everything exploded around me, the world shattering beneath my feet as I fell into yet another black hole.

~

I was in the woods. I didn't know why, or how I'd gotten here, but I was. The trees were tall and foreboding, casting giant shadows over the earth. The wind was howling in the trees, making them sway, the shadows dancing. A certain chill pricked at my skin, and suddenly I knew something wasn't right here. Something was amiss.

Suddenly I heard a noise behind me and I froze, turning my head to see a large black wolf glaring straight at me. My eyes widened, my heartbeat accelerating in fright at the look in his bright crimson eyes. Slowly, I began backing away, willing my wolf to surface, to break free so I'd be able to outrun this beast.

But my wolf wouldn't answer.

The black wolf across from me snarled and before I knew it he was charging straight for me. A scream escaped my lips as I turned and ran as fast as I could. There was no way I'd be able to outrun this beast. There was just no way. Wolves were faster than humans, and right now my wolf refused to aide me in any way.

The trees rushed passed in my peripheral vision, blurring at the edges as I ran. The wolf was hot on my tail, running faster. I was running as fast as I could as I tried to evade the wolf. But I clearly wasn't fast enough.

In the next second I felt myself falling, my foot caught on a loose root. I yelped and cried out as I turned to see the wolf looming over me, teeth gnashing viciously, eyes hungry with greed. This was it. He was going to kill me.

Slowly he advanced, snarling and growling as I tried to back away on my hands. He slashed at me with his claws just as everything faded, and I knew I was dead.

~

"Ashley? Ash. Open your eyes."

It was a struggle to do as the voice asked, but finally I managed it, seeing a pair of bright blue eyes staring straight into mine. "Oh, thank God," he whispered, his hand clutching mine. "Are you okay? I heard what happened and... God, are you okay?"

I winced as I moved, sitting up. "What–"

"God, Ashley," Luke whispered, his eyes filled with relief and... fear. "Tell me you're okay. Please tell me you're okay. You're okay?"

"Why do you keep asking me that?" I groaned.

"Are you okay?"

~

The scene suddenly morphed into something else. I was sitting in a coffee shop, Theo sitting opposite from me at a table, sipping at his latte. I frowned at the scene, looking around. There were no other people here, just the two of us. I didn't know what was happening. One minute I was with Luke and the next sitting in a café across from my human friend.

"Ash? Are you feeling all right?" Theo asked gently, reaching for my hand.

I nodded and looked down at my empty coffee mug. "Where are we?"

"Isaac's Coffee House, of course. We've been here for almost an hour," he replied with a laugh. "Are you sure you're feeling okay?"

I nodded again, looking at him, but suddenly his grin fell away as he leaned across the table to whisper to me. "I know, Ashley," he said darkly. "I know what you are."

All the breath left my body. "I–"

Theo just chuckled darkly. "You really think I'm that stupid? I've known for awhile now. You should know you can't hide anything from your friends."

~

I was suddenly in the woods again, the black wolf hovering over me still, his claws sinking into my throat. I gasped in pain as blood filled my mouth. The pain ravaged my body as the wolf's teeth and claws dug into me, slashing my skin, devouring me, until there was nothing left.

~

The darkness took over once more.