Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The Reconciliation 

Days and months passed. When they found out about the sexes of their babies, Carlos and Margarita busied themselves setting up the nursery. 

They would have a boy and a girl. Carlos had already thought of names – Carl Alesandro for the boy and Aimee Margaret for the girl. 

They also attended the wedding of Bob and Rhena in November and gave then a honeymoon trip to Venice. 

Bob and Rhena moved into their own house in Olymvas Highlands, an exclusive village where Rhena’s parents also lived, after their honeymoon. 

They spent Christmas and New Year at their home. They were firsts so they wanted to have it in Puerto de Amparo. 

January 1, 2012, Sunday morning. The entire province was so excited for the marriage between the two most powerful political clans in Quisia – the wedding between Marlon Romera and Caroline Legarda. 

But all the glamour had turned into a disaster when unknown armed men showered the newlyweds, along with relatives, friends and well wishers, with bullets. 

Marlon, Caroline and Doña Carlota had been dead on arrival at Olymvas Doctors’ Hospital. Junie and Marlon’s mother had been heavily wounded with gun bullets. 

Carlos and Margarita rushed to the hospital as soon as they found out about the horrible incident. 

Nina was so relieved to see them. She hadn’t been allowed to be in the operating room with Junie.

Junie was being attended by several surgeons.  When a surgical resident came out, he said, “He needs blood transfusion. We don’t have much blood on the blood bank that is compatible to his.  We need a healthy donor.” 

Nina looked at Carlos and Margarita. “Junie is AB–.” 

Carlos said, “I am AB– as well. I’m very much ready for the transfusion. Get as many as you can. Just save my brother.” 

Nina hugged Carlos. She was so thankful. 

Carlos looked at Margarita. They communicated through their eyes without saying any word. 

Carlos followed the doctor. After a few tests, his blood was indeed compatible that of Junie. An emergency transfusion had been done. 

On the other hand, Margarita led Nina and Chari to the hospital’s cafeteria. 

Later on, Junie had been transferred to a private room. The operation and the blood transfusion both went well. 

Carlos had to attend to the matters regarding the dead bodies of Doña Carlota and Caroline. Funeral services must be arranged. Nina, who refused to leave Junie’s side, was in no way capable of doing it. 

Margarita brought Chari home to Puerto de Amparo. She also phoned the maids at Legarda Mansion to bring a change of clothes for Nina at the hospital and for Chari at the Quinta La Amparo. 

That evening when Carlos got home, they talked in their bedroom. 

“How’s Chari,” he asked kissing her. He was already on his boxers. 

“She’s in the guest room. She fell asleep early,” she said. “Who are with Tita Carlota and Caroline?” 

He replied, “Bob, Rhena and her parents are there. We’ll come tomorrow.”