Chapter Two - Dirty-Minded

“Pervert!” There was a shriek and a slap, and two broken hearts down the hallway. I couldn’t help but smirk a little – hey, don’t give me that look! Girls are funny. They think of all these p names to call us: pervert, pig, prick. Honestly, it must have something to do with their period. See? Another p word. All these p’s are giving me premonitions.

I am on a roll.

The girl, the cause of the disturbance, stormed away from the scene, her blue eyes flashing. The guy just kind of laughed it off and high-fived his friends.

You’d think, after high-school, these people would grow up a little more. That’s funny.

I plugged in my headphones, ignoring the disturbing faces swirling around me. They didn’t seem as bad today, as strong. Maybe the Doc was right. These anti-psychotics seem to be working better.

The music flooded through my ears, filling up my brain like a good cup of Joe. I took a deep breath of it, letting it fill me up in a way people never could. Music doesn’t lie. It’s honest. It has a harmonies and melodies, emotions running rampant. It was poetry with music.

As cool as music is, it would be cooler if I could play. I have as much musical ability as a grapefruit, and they might even have a chance. I mean, someone could drop one on a piano, record it on Youtube, and make a million bucks if it sounded good. “Long John Piano”, anyone?

I felt a little more awake today, a little more with it. I tried my best not to think about what I had drawn the night before.

I moved my way to the back of the classroom, settling myself in the seat with the full intention of listening. But as the lecture droned on, I found my mind drifting to what I had drawn the night before.

Dad was telling me a bedtime story. Knights and dragons and princesses. I was a little mad. I didn’t tell him that, because I never got to see him. He was always away on business trips, and because of that, he didn’t know I didn’t care about knights anymore. I thought Superman was cool. He had Super-vision. He could see anything.

“Shwing! The brave knight swung his sword and chopped off the dragon’s head, racing in and saving the beautiful princess.” My dad grinned down at me, reaching to ruffle my hair. “Then they kissed and lived happily ever after.”

“Ewww.” Little me made a face. I was even fatter than the vision with my mom. I found myself making a face, too.

Dad laughed. “C’mon, Squirt, it’s not so bad. Love happens when you least expect it.” He winked at me. “I never expected to love your mom as much as I do. Wouldn’t trade her for all the princesses in the world.”

Little me made a little gagging noise. Dad laughed again, pinching my nose. His eyes softened, and I felt my heart begin to race. I knew something bad was going to happen. “I love you too, Squirt. You’re the best son anyone could have.”

Little me smiled, then, suddenly, his eyes narrowed. “Dad…” his eyes widened, and his jaw dropped. “Daddy? Daddy?” He started screaming, face completely contorted in terror. He looked like he had just seen the Devil.

My mother raced into the room. “Eric! What’s going on?!” Her voice was frantic. She looked frazzled and confused, like she had tumbled out of bed. She took in the scene, little me screaming in terror and my father trying his best to calm me. “Shh, Alex, shhh – I don’t know! He just started screaming! Calm down, Alex! Alex!”

I felt myself backing away, my heart in my throat. “I don’t want to see this,” I whispered. Bile was building up.

“Alexander, stop this!” Both my parents were shaking me, trying to get little me to calm down. Little me just continued to wail, his screams turning into a high-pitched keening noise that vibrated my eardrums. Tears were streaking down from his closed eyelids and he rocked back and forth.