Chapter 7 - I Think it's Time!

KYLIES POV

She was sixteen, only months out of school. Far too young to have any trauma.
The first fight felt like a joke at first – too insane to be real. She giggled in a strange, hysterical way when they had there first argument. Then she burst into tears. When she'd dried her eyes and cleaned up her face, she went straight to the chemist to buy makeup to cover everything up. She didn't see a doctor. She didn't tell her mother. Or her sisters. She stopped going outside and cut down on hanging with friends. It wasn't hard. No one suspected anything – she would accept to go out and simply forget she had plans, and they would just laugh at her and tell her she was vague. She explained her tiredness, her sudden need for early nights, by saying she had some kind of persistent bug. She simply did nothing. By the time she was seventeen, her father & her had multiple arguments leading to her father physically abusing her. By the time she went to the doctor she was clinically depressed. "You can leave you know?" The doctor explained. "You don't have to stay in that house anymore, but it's just a little more complicated. You may need to file a report."
"But I don't know what to do." Kylie laid her hands in her lap.
"I haven't decided."
The doctor smiled kindly and put her hand on Kylies shoulder.
"Actually I think you have."
The following week she knew what she wanted to do. The idea was planted firmly in her mind, she was going to run away.
The week after that, she told her sister Kendall.
"My god." Kendall said.
"When are you planning to do this?" She demanded, her eyes going straight to Kylies bedroom window.
"I don't know, a few months."
"Oh. So you're–"
"Yes, I'm actually going to do this." Kylie explained. "I've decided. I can't stay here any longer."

Kendall didn't say a word,. She cleared her throat and sat down, then got straight back up again and went to the window, stared out.
Kylie glanced at her irritably, sighed, and turned back to her closet.
"That's – well, it's all just quiet unbelievable. You're just ... We'll you're just too young."
She went on, lecturing, chastising, telling Kylie how difficult it would be, how hard and life changing running away would be. Kylie let her rant. She knew it came from concern, rather than judgement or unkindness. She tried to catch Kendall's eye while Kendall talked. She wanted to let her know – through a smile, an expression – that she didn't need to worry. Kylie running away didn't need to change anything. She would still keep in touch with her sisters, well Kendall at least, but that didn't matter. Nobody had to know. It could be their secret.

"And stability?" Kendall asked eventually. "Where are you going to stay?"
"Oh." Kylie waved her hand dismissively, made sure she didn't look her in the eye. "I've got my own plans, don't worry. I don't mean to sound flippant or anything, but it's not important"

Kendall sighed again and Kylie thought she was going to argue, insist on knowing where she will be staying. But instead she came and stood behind Kylie's chair, put a hand on Kylie's shoulder.
         "I know you must be afraid," she said. "But we're here. We're here with you. You're not alone."

•••••

The next few months were some of the most dreadful times of Kylie's life. With people in the house, coming and going. Kylie with running away constantly on her mind. Kendall and Kylie hung out more than usual, with Kendall knowing Kylie's plans and together they made new ones.
And as the months went by Kylie grew impatient. She spent a lot of time dozing, content to do nothing but wait. Wait for the right time to make her escape.

•••••

  Kylie's plan to escape started in the middle of the night, which surprised Kylie. She'd always assume it would happen during the day, while no one was home. But it started while she was messaging Kendall even though their bedrooms were right next to eachother! Kylie started thinking that now was the perfect time, she couldn't hear a peep seeing as though it was 11:30pm and she had only packed earlier that day. She messaged Kendall letting her know, her plans.

K: Kylie
KK: Kendall

K: Kendall, I'm ready! I think it's time.
KK: Are you serious? Let me at least say goodbye!
K: Come here & hug me sissy!

"Kylie?" Kendall said, opening Kylie's door slightly but slowly, making sure to not make it creak. "Where are you?" She said.

"I'm in my closet!" Kylie whispered. "Come here"

On the way between bedrooms Kendall became convinced that this was all false, that she wasn't really leaving, and that this was all some kind of sick joke. But now standing here being in her room face to face with her closest sister with her bags packed, she realises and is overcome with such an overwhelming pain that she had to stop and lean on one of Kylie's shelves. It seemed to faced for such a long time, and hurt so much, she assumed she wouldn't cry but these were only the early stages of her younger sister being gone. And she knew the pain would continue for hours and hours, getting worse and worse as the night went on.

"I can't let you leave when I'm in this much pain," she cried, during a brief, long embrace with Kylie. "It's stupid, it hurts to much." But Kylie with her calm, mellow voice, assured her that everything was going to be okay.
Ten minutes later Kylie was completely packed and ready to go. Kendall reached for her once more and squeezed her tightly! Once Kylie knew she would actually be free she loved everyone, she loved Kendall and all of her sisters, she loved her mother, she loved the entire world.

•••••

As she talks about her family she hunched over and her face draws down. Her hands twist in her lap. And the only thing in her eyes is pain. But even she comes to the next bit of her story, running away, her bearing changes dramatically. She seems softer, more open, and her eyes glow with an almost palpable sense of pride and content. It's good to see – however temporary it is – her face so clear and free of shadows.

******

OKAY OKAY OKAY I AM SO SUPER DUPER SORRY that it had taken me this long to update! I am currently up to 219 reads! Which may not be a lot but to me, that's heaps!!! & I am so so so thankful!! Never did I think I would see that day to go past 20 reads to be completely honest!

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this chapter, please like & leave some generous comments as it will inspire to write more & update faster!!!

WORD COUNT: 1171

Love you all, stay groovy! xoxox