KatherineArlene Presents: Merry Christmas, Baby

Merry Christmas, Baby by KatherineArlene

Christmas Eve 1965

Jess turned off all but one of the lights in the drug store while Marty was busy in the back room, locking up.  She went to the entrance and turned around the cardboard sign so that it said, 'Closed' and then locked the door.  Marty emerged from the back room with a paper shopping bag in his hand.

"What's that?" she said, going to him.

"I decided I want to get a Christmas tree this year."

"You mean for the apartment upstairs?" she asked with confusion.

"No, for your apartment.  I got ornaments and lights for it already, see?" he said holding the bag out to her.  Inside were the last of the drug store's Christmas decorations that hadn't sold.

"But we're not even spending Christmas day there," Jess said. 

They had a tradition of having their own little celebration on Christmas Eve where they exchanged presents with each other.  On Christmas morning they went to the Blackwell house to celebrate with Doug, Donna, their little girl, Sandra, Uncle Jonathon, and Annie.  After lunch, they went to the apartment above the drug store where Marty lived with Mr. Dwyer and had Christmas dinner with him. 

"Don't you think it's a waste of money to buy a tree just for one night?"

"Come on, Jess!  It'll be cool to have our own tree with lights and decorations."  He put his arm around her waist and pulled her close with knowing smile.  "It'll be romantic," he said with a grow before kissing her. 

She couldn't help laughing.  "You've never needed a Christmas tree to be romantic before."  His smile fell, and she immediately felt bad.  "But if you really want a tree, let's go get one."

His face lit up.  "Good!" he said, taking her hand and leading her to the door.  After he'd locked up the store, the two of them strode down the sidewalk. 

The late afternoon sun was low and the winter air was crisp, but Jess didn't mind the cold.  Walking hand in hand with Marty, there was a warmth that went through her whole body.  All those years she'd been keeping her relationship with him a secret, she'd never imagined they'd be able to walk through town out in the open.

The gas station at the corner only had a few trees left for sale, and Jess and Marty examined them silently.  "They don't look that great, do they?" Marty said sourly.

"I guess when you wait to the last minute to buy a tree, all the good ones are taken," Jess said.  Some had crooked trunks which gave them an odd shape, others hadn't filled out completely.

"Hello, Marty, Jess," Hank Garvey, the station owner said, approaching them while he wiped oil off his hands with a dirty rag.  "You lookin' for a tree tonight?"

"We were," Marty said, still looking at the sad assortment of trees.

"Take anyone you want for a buck.  Tomorrow I'll be selling the rest for firewood."

Marty and Jess looked at each other.  A dollar wasn't that bad.  Marty approached one that had a section of stumpy branches from top to bottom, perhaps because it hadn't gotten enough sunlight.  He turned it around, and said, "How about this one."  The other side was thick with healthy green branches.  "We can put the bad side against the wall.  It'll take up less space that way."

Jess beamed.  "I like it!"

After they'd paid Mr. Garvey, Marty took hold of the bottom of the tree, and Jess held the trunk near the top.  By the time they'd walked the three blocks to her building, the sun had dipped below the horizon and the street lights came on.  It was a struggle getting it up the narrow staircase and through the door to her apartment, but they managed to shove it in.