Chapter 4: dinner date

Chapter 4

ELIJAH'S P.O.V.

Cyan: 10 ½ months until awakening

"Eat."

"No thank you."

"I wasn't asking." I growled, trying my best to remain calm.

Two weeks. It had been two weeks since I began dining with Cyan and in all that time he hadn't taken more than two bites of each meal. My patience with this game of wills was starting to wear thin.

He kept his eyes on the small table I had wheeled down here every meal, trying to pretend that I hadn't just ordered him to eat. "Is there something wrong with your food?"

"No." He sighed, picking up his spoon and swirling it in his now lukewarm chicken soup. "I'm just not hungry."

"I'd believe you if this wasn't the tenth time you've told me that." I could see it in his eyes. He was hungry. The way he stared down at the mixture of broth and potatoes and noodles was borderline erotic. He wanted a spoonful of soup more than I think he'd ever wanted anything in his entire life, but he refused to eat. "Why are you doing this to yourself Cyan?"

He seemed to finally realize how intensely he was staring down at his bowl and chose to turn his gaze on me instead. "What do you live for King Elijah?"

For you. The words were on the tip of my tongue, but I bit them back. Now was not the moment to express my devotion. Things were too tense between us. Neither one of us were ready for the revelation of my love. There was too much frustration on both sides. "I live for the future of the sun people. I live for the security of our kind."

"What a heroic answer." He mumbled, looking back down at his plate. "I guess you've got millions of reasons to eat."

"And so do you." I insisted, reaching over the table and grabbing his hand. "This kingdom is yours. Every person of the sun lives for you, and you live for them."

"I'm only human." He said slowly. "Why make a human king anyway? You're a better king than I'll ever be."

"You were born to be king Cyan. It's your throne. Not mine." I explained as he finally took another bite of his food.

"And then what? Once I become king will you and Michellie leave?"

I frowned, looking down at my glass of rich blood for a moment. There was an easy answer to his question of course. Michellie and I would never leave him. I would stay by his side until the end of time because he was my soul mate. I wanted to bond with him and rule this kingdom together for the rest of eternity, but Cyan was not ready to know that. "I suppose we'll figure that out once we come to it. Of course I will remain a big part of the war effort."

"Will I be allowed to date once I'm king?" He asked, the bitterness leaking into his tone. Yes, I wanted to say, you can date me. "Or will I still be locked in the castle on the threat of you murdering anyone who tries to gain my trust?"

"Is that why you think I'm keeping you inside? You think I'm afraid of who you'll trust? Who you'll let in?" I asked instead.

"I think you got all bent out of shape because I compromised your precious tunnel system and now you're punishing me." He pouted, finishing off the rest of his food and beginning to fiddle with his spoon.

"And what if I told you I couldn't care less about the damn tunnels and the thought of anyone touching you enrages me to my very core?"

He lost grip of his spoon right then and launched it at my head. I dodged it easily, enjoying as his delicious blood seemed to overtake his entire face. "What? Did you forget you're not my dad? Don't go all paternal on me all of a sudden."