"I learned with the intent and purpose of being able to protect both Zelda and myself. We were both too young to have been placed in a situation like that. Dealing with sorrow, grief, anger, and bitterness, I grew to take consolation from the twilight – the one time of day when I was truly able to unleash my feelings. Shadow and light both make up our world, and I believe that that is how it was meant to be. All this to say that the twilight is reminiscent of something that happened a long time ago – the Twilight Invasion," Sheik continued. His piercing red eyes then flickered toward mine. "Do you know of the Twilight Invasion, Link?"

I wracked my brain but came up with nothing. We had never really learned about anything of the sort at the Fortress besides for some stories about the original Hero of Time. Shaking my head, I absently began to play Zelda's Lullaby on my Ocarina; a feeling of comfort surged through me.

"The Twilight Invasion is a tale of a Hero of Legend from many years ago – generations ago, but the story is still preserved today," with that, Sheik launched into a retelling of the ancient story from generations, back and back and back.

We conversed for some time, discussing the Twilight Invasion and other occurrences that had happened generations ago and were now a part of Hyrule's history. Sheik's sole purpose in informing me of these events was to prepare me for what was to come, which would hopefully not be as bad as many of the catastrophes that had occurred throughout history.

"Link," Sheik began; his voice lowered, becoming serious and grave. "There's something else you need to know."

Brows raised, I stood, waiting for an explanation.

"You have to be the next Hero because you fit the description of the Hero perfectly. An ancient prophecy that has been passed down through the Royal Family for generations confirms your identity as well. Zelda had insisted for quite some time that you were the next Hero, but I chose to disagree. Giving you the Ocarina was really a test I came up with to see if you were the next Hero – to see if my sister was right," Sheik admitted. "She was. The Ocarina basically served as a trigger to evoke the power of the Triforce within you. It was dormant until you made contact with the Ocarina."

I paused, unsure of what to think. Zelda had known that I was the Hero for what Sheik had said was "quite some time." If she had known, was she merely trying to get close to me so that I would save her kingdom? Had she only had intentions of using me? What were her intentions?

"You're worried," it wasn't a question; it was a statement.

I gazed out at the starry sky. We had been talking for hours if the night was any indicator. The twilight was now gone, and the curtain of night had prevailed over the shadows, engulfing the Mountain with its beauty. "I am worried," I nodded, accepting the truth. But what was the truth? I had trusted Zelda, and she might have only been my friend just to use me. Could I trust her again? As far as I was concerned, the tight bonds of trust that existed between us were slightly severed.

"Zelda was truly your friend," Sheik stated. "She wasn't trying to use you. She simply wanted to be a companion. You showed her kindness and mercy when Ganondorf was ready to kill her, and she was so grateful to you. When I would sneak into her room to check up on her, she would always talk about how you had helped her out in some way or would retell the various times you had made her laugh that day.

"I know my sister, Link," he continued. "As much as it hurts me to say it because I'm her protective older brother, she cares about you – deeply."

With that confirmation, I breathed a sigh of relief; our tight bond of trust had been restored, though it was not as strong as it was before. It couldn't be. Not with the doubt I had and not until I could see Zelda and talk to her, face to face. With that now partially resolved, I chose to return to our previous topic. "What were you saying about a prophecy?"