Chapter 5

Hello readers, hope you are enjoying the story line? I hope you liked my chapter 4, I enjoyed writing it and I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Please, remember to vote and comment, I am willing to improve with your help and support.

Thank you all. XOXOXO.

I sat on a mat under the tree in our compound back home as I waited for mama to bring the food she told me she prepared for me. "I have specially made this pounded yam and egusi for you my daughter." She said with a voice as sweet as honey, -one I have never heard from her- as she walked towards me with two plates in her hands, Lola followed her with a bowl of water.

I was very hungry and my stomach rumbled at the sight of the mouth watering food placed in front of me. The look of it excited me the same way the aroma of the soup did. I could not wait to dig my hand into the food and eat till I have over fed. I unwrapped the pounded yam from the leaf and washed my hand before I took a morsel.

"Hey young lady." I heard a faint- cold voice above me, I looked up to see mama's smiling face. "I hope you like it." She said, I smiled in return as I ignored the voice, I might have heard it wrong.

I dipped the morsel in the soup and lifted it towards my mouth, I heard the same voice call and I asked mama if she heard it too.
"I can't hear anything o, my daughter. Maybe someone is talking about you far away, just ignore the voice and enjoy the meal." she said with a smile, a hint of eagerness on her face like she could not wait for me to eat the food.

I smiled as I ate the food, it tasted as good as it looked. I took another morsel just before I heard the voice say the same words again. "Hey young lady!!!" this time like a bomb blast, it pushed me away from the food and the morsel in my hand dropped. The back of my head hit something I did not see before darkness too over.

"Hey, young lady." I heard the voice like an echo before it sounded normal in my ears. I opened my eyes to darkness, my head pounded so hard I let out a cry and held my head with both hands. My body temperature was high like I had fever.
"You have high fever." A soft female voice said as she touched my neck with the back of her palm, "Take these and I will get you biscuit and soup, I hope it helps, that's the least I can do."

I adjusted my eyes to the darkness, I saw a woman with eyes that glint in the dark and short afro hair. She looked at me with a frown on her face. "I have been worried about you, you've been out for two days. Now don't make this hard for me, I don't want to have any more body to dispose."

She handed me a cup filled with a warm substance and bread, at first I thought it was pap but when I drank it, the chocolatey taste of the watery substance that smelt like smoke made me realise it was tea.

Though the tea tasted more like water, I enjoyed the warmth and the fact that my thirst was quenched, I was grateful I had it.

My headache reduced as I devoured the bread. I handed the cup to the woman and she left before I could say thank you.

I sat upright and took a look around, I saw other people mostly girls -no, all girls, about my age- in the same room. They stared at me, most of them surprised. They must have thought I was dead.

I have never seen those girls before and was curious about where I was. The light that shone into the room from above was not enough to brighten the room. I felt the floor and the wall with my hands, they were made of wood. I wanted to ask where I was but I could not summon the courage to speak to them.

I was sure I looked as terrible as I smelt and felt. The concentrated smell of urine hit me and gave way for my head to pound as heavy as it did when I first woke up from my sleep. I was very sure I urinated on myself while I was out for two days.