Chapter 8

A/N: I'm angry. Every time I go back to chapter 7 and try to see the last page or whatever, it stops at a stupid spot. I don't know if wattpad likes me... Anyway, this continues from where the last chapter should have ended.

I almost killed Sydney earlier, and that was the only reason I allowed the addition of another bed. I liked touching her. Maybe I needed to touch her. Either way, I wasn't very fond of the two beds on either side of the cell.

Sydney seemed content to curl up on one of them and turn her back to me. I turned into a wolf and gently padded next to her cot and lay down there. She turned around and looked at me, those once green eyes now an amazing dark red. She said nothing.

Eventually, this "pizza" came in, but I did not try to dash out as the mate-less alpha came in with it. I cocked my head, inhaling the unique, delicious smell. I smelled meat and bread and tomatoes and something akin to milk. Syd stood and took these odd boxes and then set them on a cot before she hugged him.

Even though she said he is her father, I didn't like it. I could almost feel him touching her, and it made my fur stand on end. I bared my teeth at him and growled, crouching in case he decided to do more.

She kissed his cheek, and then he shoved her away, a look of fear in his eyes. I used the extra space between them to insert myself between them, baring my vicious fangs with extra-long canines at him. The only reason I didn't outright attack was that she was the one who instigated. He held his hands up innocently but glared at my mate.

"What are you trying to do!?" He exclaimed. "Get me killed!?"

I barked at him, telling him to get out. He took the message and hurried out, slamming the door behind him. The coward all but ran away.

I turned to see her opening the box and bringing out a flat piece of bread piled in vegetables and meat. She took a bite, looking me in the eye, an obvious challenge. I turned back into a human and sat next to her, imitating her taking of a piece, but I didn't look at the box. I kept her gaze; I wouldn't look away first. We ate in a tense silence, and neither of us broke it, not until she looked down at her food. I smirked at her and finished my portion first. The food was interesting, but I wasn't paying attention to it.

She didn't look at me as she got up and picked up the boxes, putting them near the door. I followed right behind her.

She tried to step to the other cot, but I blocked her way, so she ran into my chest. She shoved off, running into a wall, so I stepped forward, pinning her to it.

"Get off of me, Blue!"

She looked me in the eye, and I growled at her challenge. She growled back, but I could tell it was halfhearted. I put a hand on either side of her head and leaned down into her personal space, so close I could lick her. I felt and heard her heartbeat accelerate, but it was attraction, not fear. I knew that because of the pheromones she was sending. I could smell them.

I allowed myself two words, so I spoke one, "Mate."

The waves of pheromones nearly tripled. She had to struggle to retain her angry facade, but she still wasn't getting my point.

This was proving difficult. I put my hand on her shoulder and then ran it along her back to my mark. She shivered in pleasure and finally dropped my gaze. I leaned in further and gently kissed her cheek. I felt the blood rush to her cheeks and saw them turn red, so I kissed it in appreciation.

"Stop it," she muttered.

I growled, telling her to shut up. She kissed another man, I was holding her in the perfect position to do so to me, and she wasn't.

"Okay, I get it, you control this relationship, but seriously, Blue, you haven't considered me at all. I don't want to be a hybrid."

I chuckled darkly, remembering my own transformation. Hers was easy and simple compared. She may not have wanted it, but I hated it. I pulled back so I could look her in the eye. She was still trying to be angry. It was adorable.

"Ok, look, how do you expect me to just accept the fact that you turned me into something horrible?"

She searched my face, and I knew I was an open book. I didn't have the training not to be.

"Oh, so you're sorry? A small bit of sadness in your eyes doesn't fix this!"

She tried to push me away, but she used her werewolf strength, not the vampire. How do I tell her that I can't tell her without talking? How do I make her understand that I don't understand what this "mate" thing is? I simply know that I need her and it has something to do with the word "mate."

I buried my face in her throat and shoulder and breathed her in, wrapping my arms around her. She's the first person I have touched since- then. Well, besides the ones I've drank from since then. Xavier touched me once or twice, but I put him in his place. And fighting doesn't count.

She relaxed and hugged me back. I smelled a bit of salt. "Please," she whispered. "Please talk to me."

"Sydney," I whispered back.

"Just tell me why you won't talk. I promise I won't ask you to do it again. Just once. Help me understand you, my mate."

I pulled back and padded over to my cot. She sighed and went to hers. That didn't sit well with me, but I stayed on my side, sitting and watching her as she went to hers and lay down, facing me.

"Blue?"

I tilted my head to say I was listening. "Good night."

I remember Mom saying that to me. She would say it every night as she tucked me into my bed. Dad did too, when he was there. He wouldn't let me keep the light on. I didn't remember much else they said.

Soon, Sydney was asleep, leaving me alone again. Alone. That was what I had been pretty much most of my life. I expected Xavier to leave me soon. He's most likely already in another territory, leaving. I didn't expect vampires or their spawn to stick around long. Sydney made it clear that she didn't like me, but I innately knew she couldn't leave me.

She was going to try to figure me out. I didn't want her to. Just because I had this bond with her didn't mean she deserved what I vowed never to share again. The bond meant I would give her my future, but no one deserved my past.