Chapter 1

I stormed out of the pack house, slamming the door behind me. My elder brother saw my enraged face and wisely stepped out of my way. Other pack members that I packed shrunk away or tried to smile at me, but I just glared at them until I got into the woods, where I shifted and took off.

Dad didn't understand! I hadn't found my mate, and I was nearing twenty-one, and he thought it was his job as Alpha of War Ravine Pack to make me find him! I was perfectly content without a mate! In fact, seeing my friends do all that sickening crap publicly made me want to throw up.

My paws pounded on the hard earth, easily evading roots. I was a runner, very few could keep up with me. As such, I tended to be Dad's messenger to other packs. This time, he wasn't sending me with a message, he was simply sending me to every pack so I would hopefully run into my mate! It angered me this much because I believed in chance. My mate and I wouldn't meet until we were both ready to form that close of a relationship, and pushing the matter wasn't going to help anyone!

I couldn't blame him, though. Dad met his mate on her deathbed, after a car accident. There was nothing he could do to save her, and it nearly broke him. He didn't want the same thing to happen to Charles or I, and Char found his mate, Violet, a few years ago. I already had a niece!

Dad mind-linked me, Syd, I'm sorry, it has to be done.

I growled through the link.

Come home, sweetheart. Let's talk this through.

Leave me alone! I'll do as you say, but just give me time to think!

He went quite, and I stopped at a stream, taking a drink and then laying by it with my head resting on my paws. The gurgling sounds soothed my anger as I breathed in the peaceful outdoors' scent of wet earth and growing plants. I knew I was safe, I had Alpha blood, which made me about equal size with most male werewolves, and I could smell if anyone was coming.

My ears twitched as squirrels made a ruckus in the trees. I contemplated my father's proposal. Go to each pack in the North American continent until I found my mate. If that didn't work, he'd send me to Europe. I silently told my mate that he needs to be a hot Spaniard.

My eyes slowly closed as I soaked in the sunlight coming through the trees. I wasn't lonely. I wasn't yearning for my "other half." I was very content just as I was. When I met him, I would simply be even more content. I drifted off to sleep, trusting my senses and the border patrol of our territory to warn me of any danger.

----------------------------

I woke up to the scent if blood and mud. Strangely, it didn't repulse me. The opposite in fact... I heard someone snuffling around me, a snout lightly touching my side. I had no sense of alarm, which scared me only slightly. It was a passing thought, really. I lazily opened my eyes and turned to look at this wolf smelling my fur. He had dark, navy blue fur and was slightly larger than me. He wasn't my father or brother, or anyone from my pack, but I wasn't worried. I stood and rubbed my face against his in greeting.

He licked at my ear and then pulled back inspecting me with... red eyes!? Werewolves didn't have red eyes! I froze backed up slightly. He narrowed those blood red eyes and sprang at me, pinning me into the mud by the stream.

He held me there for a long time. I wanted to fight back, but the panic that filled me a minute ago was slowly subsiding as he licked my face. I whimpered, so he nuzzled my face before getting off of me. Those freaky eyes commanded me wordlessly to follow him.

I bowed my head in submission and followed my mate into the woods. I mind linked Dad.

I found my mate.

He sounded annoyed. Don't lie to me just to stop me from sending you!

I'm not lying! He is right here!

I'm coming.

I followed my mate until I felt the border of our territory. I stopped there and whined to get his attention. He turned to look at me. Once the border was crossed, connection to the Alpha was lost. I was used to it, but my dad would freak if he couldn't feel me right now. My mate stalked over to me, his powerful body rippling under the long, bushy, navy blue fur. He looked warm.

He came face to face with me, locking his blood red eyes with my lime green ones. Suddenly, he jerked forward and latched his teeth around the scruff on the back of my neck, hauling me forward. A piercing howl was heard behind us, and I knew it was my father.

I struggled against my mate, and he let me go. I crouched and growled at him, and he shifted into his full, naked, human glory, his eyes staying the same freaky shade of red. He came over to me and pet me to soothe me. Dad barked from the border, unable to cross. Alphas can't leave their territory without permission from the alpha of the territory on the other side, and Dad didn't think to bring more people with him to meet my mate.

Dad shifted. "Hey! You can't just take my daughter across my border, mate or not!"

I relaxed into his touch small sparks transferring from his hand to my fur. I rubbed my head on his leg, and I heard my dad gasp as he beheld my mate's eyes.

"No. It can't be." He sounded shocked and afraid.

My mate swiftly inserted his hands under my body, lifting my wolf form as easily as if I were a pup, not a full grown female with Alpha blood.

"Don't you take her! Don't you dare freakin take my daughter!"

I looked back at my father, trying desperately to get past his own barrier to get to me. Suddenly, there was a loud "whoosh!" And the scenery sped past in a blur.