Chapter 5: Matt

We got to the hospital around 11:25pm. By that time Karen had either fallen asleep or blacked out. Grabbing her limp body, I ran as fast as I could into the hospital holding her in my arms. I got into the emergency room. All around me kids were screaming, adults were crying, people had things in areas they shouldn't be in. Holding in my gut, I shouted as loud as possible.

"Help! Somebody help me please!" The nurses perked their heads up and looked at me. They stared at me confused since nothing was wrong with me. That's when they saw Karen in my arms with her head bleeding and her eyes shut. One nurse shrieked and soon nurses and doctors were gathering around me putting Karen on a stretcher.

"It's okay sir she's going to be okay," the nurse running beside me says. We all are dashing behind Karen's stretcher to get to the operating room. Suddenly, the doors in front of me shut and lock and I stand behind the door seeing Karen being pushed into one of the rooms. I bang my fists on the door and try to break the door locked.

"Let me in! Hey you let me in there!!" I scream trying to get into the room. The nurses beside me try to calm me down pulling me back. "No! Please no I can't leave her! She doesn't understand things like this. She's a shy lonely girl I'm the only person she has right now!" I shout at them. One of the male nurses puts his hand over my mouth muffling my cries. My heart wants me to push on, but my brain shuts down and I give up my fight. The nurse in front of me kneels down and looks me straight in the face.

"Look," she says kindly, "The more you fight to get in there, the worse it will be for you and your friend. Right now, the best you can do is go over there and calm down." She points over to the waiting area that is deserted unlike the first one. The nurse stands up and nods to the male nurse behind me. "When you're ready, we will come over and ask you a few questions about what happened," she says to me and walks back over to her station. The male nurse lets me go and leads me over to the waiting area. I shake his hand before he goes.

"Sorry bout that man I don't know what came over me," I say apologizing.

"It's okay dude. I know what it feels like," he says sympathetically and walks back over to the nurse station. I walk over to the small tea machine and make myself a cup of chamomile to calm me down. Sitting down with my tea in hand I sigh leaning back and thinking of what could be happening to Karen right now. Praying she's alright.