Chapter 12: Wicked

Start from the beginning

"Aren't you trying to be covert?" Lou hissed. "That's your job, isn't it?"

Cael didn't respond, he soaked in the environment like it was some sort of sweet nectar.

He stood up and scrambled towards the nearest bookshelf. He scoured it for a book, any book, picked it up and read it. His eyes widened. His breathing got quicker and quicker. He looked around the cave, astounded.

"This." He whispered. "This is the Lair of the Sixth."

Lou shook her head. "That's not possible! We've hardly been out for a day, there's no way that we're here already."

The farther she got into her sentence, the more she was sure she was wrong. The books, how secluded it was, it all made sense for the Sixth.

Cael looked up from his book. "I feel like we're going to get a very long explanation soon."

Lou walked towards him and peered over his shoulder. The book was in a language she couldn't understand. It must've been dwarvish. Cael's hands seemed to light up as he flipped the pages. He grinned wildly.

"I haven't seen this accurate of a dwarvish text since I lived with Mother...." Cael said. He looked too happy.

"I'm glad." Lou said. She wandered around the cave while Cael planted himself in place and read.

She ran her hands over the wall and smiled. Each bump and ridge on the wall felt new and strange. Like they had a story that needed to be told. Lou wanted to know the story, and she would do anything to understand it.

There was a low grumble through the cavern. "Just the earth congratulating us on finding her." Cael said.

"How do we even know the Sixth is a girl?" Lou said. Cael flipped a page.

"True." He said. The thief was in a tranced state, reading and smiling all the while.

Scratches sounded through the cavern. It sent shivers down Lou's spine. She moved towards them and immediately regretted not bringing her scythe with her. It seemed like a large inconvenience to bring it with her everywhere now.

What greeted her was a huge pair of crystal eyes. They blinked twice, first in recognition, second in surprise.

The figure attached to those eyes moved forward. It looked to be a young girl, over half Lou's age, with tanned skin and bright pink hair. For clothes, she had what looked like a brown rag sewn together at the sides. When she spoke, her teeth glared off the limited light the cavern provided.

"Well hello there." She said. She had the voice of someone much older than she seemed.

"Hello." Lou said slowly.

"I assume you know who I am?" The girl said as she paced around Lou.

"A young girl who wandered into the Sixth's cavern," Lou said sarcastically.

The Sixth looked Lou up and down. "Ha ha, Louanne Verrmien. I see that look in your eye."

Lou smiled. "Hello, O Great and Magnificent Sixth of the Seven," Lou bowed. "I am graced by your presence and honored by your voice. Please, guide me in your name."

The Sixth whistled. "Wow, you are one rule-follower. Where is your friend, Cael Beauregard?"

"Abegg," Lou corrected. "He was adopted by Bellona Abegg."

The Sixth rose a brow. "Whatever you say, knightling."

Lou resisted the urge to snap at her, too. She kept her tongue in her mouth and lead the small dragon towards her friend. He was still in place, although he had moved from standing to sitting.