Chapter 5: The Bee Stings

Start from the beginning

"So we have nothing to be scared of, right?" Riley's eyes darted from Tessa to Sophie and then stopped at me, awaiting my answer.

"I guess not, we did nothing wrong. It's not like he can suspend us, they have no proof," I shrugged and watched the doorway as a string of jocks entered the classroom.

"Yeah, and if they do, we'll sue Ava Jones for damages and defamation of character," Tessa flipped open her textbook proudly, acting as if her family being reputable for taking people to court was some kind of badge of honour.

I noticed Matt was amongst the juice-head football players and immediately stood up. "I'll be right back," I announced to my friends and stomped my way to Matt's seat.

"Where were you last night?" I roared, annoyance laced through every word.

"Why do you care?" he scoffed, surprised at how upset I was, " Did you look for me?"

"No," I sniffed, refusing to give him the satisfaction of knowing I did, "I just didn't see you there, that's all."

"Okay, Aspen," he widened his eyes, and then returned to the excessively detailed Bio textbook that was displayed on his desk.

"Did you hear?" I shut the heavy cover, reverting his attention back to me.

"About us having ana-" he began but I cut him off, shaking my head, "I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm pretty late when it comes to rumours. Football players usually communicate through grunts."

I tilted my head to the side, unimpressed, my hands still on my hips.

"Oh, but was it about how you made Mallory Garcia starve herself? Because I did hear a couple guys in the locker room talking about that."

"No," I answered sharply, "And I didn't make her do anything. This time it's about some nobody freshmen who claims my friends and I 'sexually harassed' her."

"And, did you?" Matt raised an eyebrow, unperturbedly, as if he was accustomed to pretty girls committing sexual offences.

"What? No. If I wanted some action I'd..." I glanced around the room, searching for a familiar yet bang-able face, "come to you."

"Good to know," Matt offered me a ribald smirk, "I'm available for 'some action' whenever you need me."

"Hypothetically speaking," I squinted at him as a cheerleader crawled onto his lap, "And it looks like you already get enough, anyways."

I returned to my seat with a downhearted sigh. I felt completely guileless when it came to Matt Sommers. I thought that he might've actually liked me, but who was I kidding? I could not believe I fell under his lure like the many other girls at my high school had. Matt would charm them into bed with him, and poof, the next morning they wouldn't hear a word from him ever again.

He was the definition of a fuckboy, collecting virgins and naive girls like pennies, and then flaunting his victories to the rest of the football team. I refused to be a penny; I was a damn hundred dollar bill.

I spent the rest of first period ferociously jotting down notes. My grip was so hard on the pen that the ink bled through to the next page. I was even sniffling at one point due to my rage. I couldn't stop thinking about Penelope, Matt, Hunter, and now Ava... if I didn't already have enough problems.

In my transition to next period, I noticed that the whispering hadn't died down as much as I would've liked. Tessa, Riley, Sophie, and I, normally didn't mind the weird looks and hushed muttering, but it was different knowing people were talking about us sexually assaulting someone like we were some type of sick criminals. It left a bad taste in our mouths.