I looked at her and nodded a little as a single tear fell down my cheek. The only good thing about that is that it’ll soften up Mrs. Puckett a little.

  “Just for tonight Zack,” her mum whispered kindly.

  “Thank you,” I sniffed.

  Liza then took me up to her room, obviously wanting some sort of an explanation from me. Maybe she is someone I can trust. I know I’ve never thought about her like that but she clearly does care about me.

  “Why would they hurt you?” she asked softly, wrapping her arm around my shoulder.

  “It’s complicated,” I sighed, not wanting to go into detail of what’s going on and how it all started.

  “I’m good at understanding things,” she smiled. “Especially things like this. My cousin’s parents used to do the same to him, that’s why he’s here now.”

  “Oh,” I sighed.

  Maybe I should talk to her then. She could help and tell me what he did. Did he tell anyone? Were the police involved? Maybe she can be more helpful than I thought.

  “If I tell you this, you can’t tell anyone else, okay?” I told her.

  “Whatever you want Zack.”

  I sighed as I told her everything. About the random beatings and even about what happened today when my dad got someone to abuse me like that. I made sure she knew that I wasn't actually raped or anything and I didn’t mention who did it to me. I was so scared when it all happened and looking back I have no idea why he didn’t actually go through with it on me. He had the opportunity, didn’t he?

  “Zack,” she cooed, holding me tighter. “Does anyone else know about this?”

  My head shook. I wasn't going to mention that Cole, Mr. Sanders, knew about it because she’d want to know why I told him.

  “Not even Beth?” she gasped.

  “Why’d I tell Beth?” I asked her, curious about why she thought I would.

  “Well, she must like you a lot and it’s obvious how much she cares about you-”

  “That’s one of the reasons I can’t tell her; she’ll worry too much about me and I don’t want her getting in a state or anything.”

  She nodded like she understood why I haven’t been telling people now.

  “So why did you tell me?”

  “I don’t know,” I admitted. “I just did, I guess.”

  “I'm glad you did Zack,” she smiled as she pulled me into another hug. “You had to tell someone and I'm so happy that you chose me.”

  I nodded at her and smiled. She likes me way too much. Is it healthy to crush on someone like this? I have no idea.

  “Do you want to play a game or something?” she asked me to change the subject.

  “Sure,” I mumbled.

  She stood up and starting looking around her room for something. I’m not too sure what though.

  The room was really tidy and the walls were painted pink with black stripes down it. Her room was actually quite nice; big, a great view from the window; perfect compared to mine. She didn’t have posters on her walls but she had a lot of pictures of her with friends, which must be hard for her to look at now seeing as she has none left.

  “How about truth or dare?” she asked me softly.

  “I'm not sure really,” I told her. “It doesn’t really work with two people does it?”