Chapter THREE - Old movies and popcorn

"You looked impatient when I arrived. Were you planning to leave?" Sam asked, taking a bite of his food.

"I... Well, I thought you had stood me up."

"I wouldn't miss this for anything in the world."

Frowning, she asked, "How did you know it was me?"

"You were the only single girl in the room and the most beautiful one. It was easy to notice you."

"You could have been wrong."

He gazed at her with his starlight green eyes as he whispered in a husky voice, "If it wasn't you, then I guess I just had to meet you anyway."

Kyra's lips curled into a smile. Excitement stirred in her stomach, and she felt flustered. He was charming and captivating. He was also really sexy— a hazardous combination.

Breaking the silence, Sam asked after drinking, "Do you have any plans after this?"

Kyra blinked several times. He was going too fast. But he was apprehensive since he entered that room and was able to detect it. She was evolving, and if he had sensed it and smelled her divine aroma, others were able to also.

She had grown up to be a gorgeous woman. Those clothes looked great on her, making her seem refined and more enticing. However, her scent made him realize that, soon enough, she would turn.

A woman of his species was something rare. Even if she wasn't, he couldn't help but think of how beautiful and attractive she was. How sweet and gorgeous she looked. He had to protect her from now on. Keeping others from trying to do her harm and defile her silky skin.

"I thought we could go to a nightclub to dance," he said, interrupting the silence.

"I'm underage," she reminded him. "I can't drink, and my parents want me home before midnight."

"Fair enough." He smiled. "We just have to have a long dinner to talk and get to know each other better. At least, face to face."

She drank water. Her body temperature continued to rise as her palms started to sweat.

"Or...I could paint your portrait if you would let me," she said, biting her lip.

He grinned widely, making her blush harder. "That would be interesting," he whispered, leaning forward and invading her space.

She gulped.

"Just so you know, I wouldn't mind," he declared. "But I don't do nude."

She chuckled, making him lean back in his chair and stare at her.

"Neither do I," she assured him, studying his face and body. He seemed relaxed. He was tall and well-built. He would look extremely good naked. She glanced away, censored by her mind for having those thoughts. She was losing it.

"I'm delighted for being here with you," he said.

She focused on him. "Why?"

"We always have interesting conversations. You know a lot about the Old World. Most girls of your age tend to talk about clothes, makeup, parties, music, and whatever rocks their worlds."

"I'm an inquisitive person."

"And you have a thing for angels."

"It's not a thing," she denied, almost offended by his declaration. "You also know a lot about them."

"Yes, I do."

"So, you also like them. At least, all the mythology around them. Don't you believe in God?"

"Yes," he answered softly with the constant smile on his perfect lips. Those lips and that face were fascinating. She could almost see the pencil drawing it—immortalizing his beauty.

"I don't believe angels exist," she continued, trying to focus. "But I've liked to draw them since I was a little girl. The idea of perfection is very appealing to me."

"Sometimes perfection can be tedious."

"What do you mean?"

"One of the pleasures of being human is that they can learn from their mistakes. Perfect beings can't make mistakes and aren't allowed to have doubts."

"Perhaps," Kyra whispered, drinking water to clear her throat. "But wouldn't it be great to be eternal and know all the mysteries of the world?"

Sam leaned forward. "What would you live for if you were eternal?"

"I don't know," she said, not expecting that question.

"Imagine if you knew all the secrets of life and still you had to keep living for centuries alone and without any reason to exist. Not even for love because perfect beings can't feel incomplete like humans do. At least, it's what they say about angels."

"They are supposed to be sexless, but they have a purpose. They must protect humans."

"They did a great job, didn't they?"

The irony of his words made her furrow her eyebrows. "They don't exist, remember? All that happened was humanity's fault."

Sam placed his hand on the table and trailed a finger close to Kyra's hand. "Let's talk about earthly things. There's an old movie in a theater not far from here. Would you like to watch it with me after dinner?"

She followed his finger and closed her hand into a fist. "What old movie?"

"A Walk in the Clouds," he said, making her eyes glow.

"I haven't seen that movie since I was twelve! And copies of it are hard to find."

"They are showing old movies this whole week in the old theater. And since you have the same taste in movies as I do, I thought you would like to see this movie."

Kyra rested her right elbow on the table and laid her face against her palm. "I would love to, but...it's a romantic movie. Are you sure you want to see it?"

"I won't mind. Besides, I remember you said something about old Keanu Reeves' movies and how you loved him as an actor, so I did some research and found that film program in a nearby theater."

"You have an excellent memory. So, my favorite Keanu Reeves' movie is?"

"Constantine, of course!"

Kyra smiled.

For a moment, she had considered the idea that he wasn't her real date. He was too perfect to be true. Still, he knew things she had only talked about with him online, so he had to be the real deal.

"However, you also have a thing for the Lake House. Am I right?"

Sighing, she leaned back and rested her hands on her lap. "I wish I was born fifty years sooner. The world seemed so much more interesting back then."

"Yes, it did," he sighed a bit nostalgic. Then he looked at her and smiled again as a happy thought crossed his mind. "But this age is nice too because you are in it."

Kyra blushed under his captivating gaze, fully aware that his line sounded cheesy, but she couldn't help feeling flattered by his interest in her.

Sam asked, "Am I making you feel uncomfortable?"

"No, I'm still trying to cope with the fact that you are real..."

He drank water.