On The Road and Arrival

I woke up early the next morning feeling extra jittery. Excitement flooded through my veins. Today was the start of my journey.  

I put on the tank top, hoodie, and jean shorts I had laid out the night before and pulled my dark blonde hair up out of my face. I laced my converse up and then left my room, knowing it could be a while until I returned. 

I was about to go down the stairs when I noticed Tim dragging his suitcase. I couldn't help but laugh at his lack of muscle. Normally, I would say he's fairly strong, but not today. He struggled to move the suitcase and when he finally reached the stairs, it seemed as if he had started sweating. Tim pushed the suitcase onto the first stair and attempted the second. Still laughing, I kicked the suitcase and it tumbled down the whole flight of stairs. 

Tim stuck his tongue out at me, but I was almost too busy laughing to notice. 

"What did you pack?" I asked between giggles. 

"I made sure I was prepared for everything. Snow, bears, Joker, even feminine emergencies."  

My jaw fell open, "WHAT? Don't even bring that topic up! You shouldn't be thinking about that!" 

Tim shrugged, "I just grabbed stuff from Cass's room." 

"Okay enough information. You packed too much." 

"Whatever." Tim swaggered down the stairs. 

I followed him down and said hello to Alfred. I felt a nagging feeling in my stomach from knowing I wouldn't see Alfred again for a while. He fixed a breakfast full of my favorite food along with Tim's. We sat down to eat and I ate more than I normally do. I thanked Alfred and he handed me a paper bag full of left over muffins, scones, and other food for the road. I took the bag and hugged him. 

"Thanks for everything Alfred."  

"You're very welcome." He smiled. 

Alfred helped Tim and I load our suitcases (it took all 3 of us to left Tim's up) and we waited for Bruce. We didn't have to wait very long, but I was anxious to get on the road, so it seemed like we waited for hours. Bruce finally appeared to say goodbye. 

"Gemma, you've been in my care for 3 years and I've seen you grow into a smart young woman. Make good choices on this trip and don't get into too much trouble. I hope you find what you're looking for." Bruce showed the faintest trace of a smile. 

"Tim, watch over Gemma and keep her safe. Make sure to keep your identity a secret and trust no one." 

Tim nodded. 

"I'll miss you both. Good luck on your trip."  

Alfred opened the door for me and gave me one last hug. I hopped into the car and Tim sat in the driver's seat. We waved goodbye and drove off. I saw my final glance of Wayne Manor before putting my earphones in and drifting into an uncomfortable sleep.

Four hours later, Tim nudged me awake. The drive to Star City was 7 hours long and Tim and I had agreed to stop about half way and switch seats. I looked out the window and saw he had parked in a McDonald's parking lot.

"Tim?" I drew out the 'im' part of his name.

"What?"

"Can we get McDonald's pancakes?" I asked drowsily.

He laughed, "You sound like you're on morphine right now."

"McDonald's hotcakes?" I tried again.

"Alfred would be ashamed of you. And I can't believe you're still hungry."

"So.... No McDonald's pancakes/hotcakes?"