An Embarrassing Moment and Talking to Bruce

I woke up the next morning laying on something extremely comfortable. I looked up to see a mass of black hair above my head. A green t shirt was underneath my head, serving as a pillow. This could only mean one thing. 

I fell asleep on Tim. 

I quickly got up, but was careful not to wake him. Of course, being Red Robin, Tim easily recognized the movement and opened up one eye, then another. His pale blue eye looked at me and a smirk formed on his lips.  

I prepared myself for never ending humility. 

"Good morning, Gemma."  

"Hi." I grumbled. 

"Looks like we spent the night in Bludhaven." He said. 

I nodded. 

"And we're both on the couch..." 

"Look, I know I fell asleep on you." I sighed. 

Tim laughed, "Glad to hear you admit it." 

I rolled my eyes. 

Barbara and Dick walked out from their bedroom and into the kitchen.  

"Morning you two." Dick smirked. 

(He not so secretly 'shipped' me and Tim) 

Barbara had Hailey in her arms while Dick rummaged through the fridge. 

"How about pancakes?" Barbara yawned. 

"Pancakes! Pancakes!" Hailey shouted excitedly. 

"Sounds delicious." I smiled. 

I got off the couch and Tim followed. I knew Barbara and Dick well enough to know what question would come next. 

"So what have you two been up to? Any parties... Social gatherings.... Dates..." Barbara started. 

Tim smirked mischievously, "Actually, Gemma and I are madly in love and we're going on a road trip to find her mother." 

Barbara chuckled a bit, but Dick took him seriously. 

"What?! YAY! I totally saw it coming! Barbara, didn't I tell you?!" Dick exclaimed like a teenage fangirl. 

"Dick," I sighed. "Tim was kidding." 

"For real?" His energy was gone. "But... But why not?"  

Barbara laughed as she flipped another pancake.  

"What about the part where you said something about a road trip to find Gemma's mom...?" Barbara asked. 

I groaned, "Tim thinks he's coming with me. I'm going off to look for my mother. I have a few leads..." 

"And I, being the generous, helpful person I am, decided to come with her." 

"He invited himself along." I said unhappily. 

"Well, where are you going? What leads do you have?" Barbara handed me and Hailey each a plate with a pancake on it. 

Dick turned and started his own conversation with Tim.  

"I found the hospital I was born in, which is in Star City. I want to see if they can give me some information, maybe a birth certificate. I also have an old address for where my father lived. He lived there around the time I was born, so maybe neighbors can tell me something."  

"That was smart of you." Barbara praised. "Maybe you're not cut out for working on the field. Maybe behind the scenes is better for you."  

I smiled. I had never thought of that before. The last time I had attempted to play hero, I had almost gotten myself killed. Maybe working like Oracle would work for me. 

Or maybe becoming a villain would... 

No. Nope. Shove that thought WAY back down there. Where did that comeback from? Honestly, I don't want to know. 

We finished breakfast and said goodbye to Barbara, Dick, and Hailey.  

"Bye bye Auntie Gemma! Bye bye Uncle Timmy!" She giggled. 

We hoped in the car and Tim drove us back to Wayne Manor. 

The drive was longer than the drive to Bludhaven. I drifted off to sleep while Tim sat in traffic.  

I woke up to Tim nudging me awake.  

"We're here. Bruce wants to talk to us."  

I yawned and got out of the car. My neck cracked as I walked into the house and followed Tim into Bruce's study. Bruce was already there waiting for us. I could never get over the fact that Tim looked so much like him, although Bruce looked a lot more serious and stern. 

"Sit down." He said. 

We did as told and looked up at our adoptive father. 

"Gemma, I called you in here to talk to you about going to find your mother. I understand that your almost a legal adult and that you should go off and discover things for yourself, but do you have an actual plan?" He asked. 

I nodded and explained my leads. He seemed mildly impressed for about 2 seconds.  

"That sounds like a good place to start... But I'm not sure you should go off on your own. People take advantage of young girls." Bruce warned. 

"I understand, but you have to remember that even though I didn't keep the cape, I kept up lessons with Helena. I'll be able to handle myself. And even though I don't know how long my trip will last, I'll check in with you or Alfred every night." 

Bruce thought for what seemed like centuries before asking, "Where do you intend on staying while you're in Star City?" 

Uh oh... I hadn't really thought of that. I mean, I considered staying at cheap motels, or even in my car, but I knew Bruce wouldn't approve of that. 

"I can contact my friend Oliver Queen." Bruce suggested. 

"Green Arrow?" I asked. 

"Yes. Him and his wife, Dinah, are close friends of mine. And their adoptive son, Roy Harper, is staying with them for the summer."  

"Jeez what is it with billionaires and orphans?" Tim questioned.  

I had forgotten he was still there. 

"That sounds good to me." I replied. 

"Now about Tim wanting to come along..." Bruce started, after telling Alfred to call Oliver.

"Oh no! No no no. Please no!" I pleaded. 

"Bruce, I think I should go. I mean, for extra protection just in case, but also for my detective skills." Tim persuaded. 

"That's a good point..."  

"No! Oh please no! Don't let him come along!" I begged, but it was no use. 

"Okay. I've made up my mind. Both of you can leave for Star City tomorrow. Alfred just contacted Ollie and Dinah and they would love to have you stay with them." 

I took a deep breath. At least I was able to go. I tried to relax, but having to stay with a family I didn't know kind of made me uneasy. I had gotten a lot better with my anxiety, but it wasn't gone completely.  

I thanked Bruce and left his study. I shuffled down to the home theatre and watched anime for half the day, and then packed the other half of the day. I didn't know what I would need, so I packed all the essentials and a little bit of everything else. 

I was finally going to find my mother.