Chapter Four

Sometime later Seth and I had finished outlining the beginning of our newspaper article. I was pretty pleased with how much we had accomplished and had already set about assigning each of us tasks to complete for our next meeting. The time had passed so quickly which had surprised both Seth and me greatly. It almost felt like old times.

"I'd better be getting home," Seth said after another half an hour typing up our ideas. He offered me a hand up and I took it, mentally scolding myself as a pick blush rose in my cheeks. He looked at me with a confused expression and I found myself blushing deeper. "You haven't changed at all," he whispered making me jump.

"You have," I replied. I didn't want to sound mean but it was the truth. He had changed and presently I couldn't work out whether it was for the better or not.

"So we'll meet up again in a few days and report back to one another?" he asked and I nodded. "I'm going to ask some of my friends for their opinions so we can include different points of view."

"Sounds good," I replied although I was slightly dubious of how much good his friends would be at answering the question seriously.

"Lele!" I blinked and looked up as I saw Eddie running towards us followed by Mum and Mark. "Chocolate!" he screamed.

"Oh hello, Seth," Mum greeted the boy beside me with a confused smile. "I didn't know you and Lily were friends again?"

I blushed deeply mortified at her brash question. "We're just doing a project for school," I said quickly. Mum raised her eyebrows at me as I hurried Seth from the room.

"It was lovely seeing you again, Seth," she called after us.

"You too," Seth called over his shoulder as I pushed him towards the door. "Lily! Stop pushing me! I'm going."

I blushed again and took my hands from his shoulders. "Sorry," I mumbled in embarrassment.

"Is Thursday okay for you?" he asked as he unlocked his car. "You could come over to my house after school. I'll drive you."

I nodded as he got into the driver's seat and started the engine. "It's fine, I'll see you then."

He smiled as he started the car and drove off. I quickly hurried back inside clutching nervously at my stomach that had a strange fluttery feeling spreading through it. Shaking away any nonsense that was filling my head, I made my way back into the kitchen where I heard the voices of my family.

"I didn't realise Seth was coming over," Mum said as I sat down at the table. "Did he take you both home?"

I nodded.

"That was nice of him. You should have him over more often," she said as she busied herself making the dinner. "He always was such a charming boy."

"We're not friends," I replied. "I'm only talking to him for this stupid project."

Mum nodded but didn't look convinced as I stalked off upstairs with my laptop. Seth and I weren't friends. We weren't even acquaintances. He was only being nice to me because he had to be and I was only talking to him because it would be rude to sit in silence.

* * *

"Lil!"

I spun around to see Fliss running in my direction dragging Francis along behind her. People had turned to stare at my hyperactive best friend and chuckled with amusement as she flipped them off with her middle finger. I loved that she didn't care what other people thought about her. She dropped her companions hand and barrelled towards me with a squeal.

"Fliss!" I gasped loudly as the wind was completely knocked out of me. "You have got to stop running into me like this! I can't breathe!" I laughed as she let go and shot me a cheeky grin.