Chp 16. I Do Not Swim

Start from the beginning

"Repeat that again?" Lizzy asked shocked.

"I'm afraid of the water, I always have been," I replied softly.

"Oh," Lizzy went quiet, "Why is that?"

I took my ponytail out of my hair, "I don't know."

"Yes you do, tell me," Lizzy pushed.

"I guess it's because when I was eight years old I jumped into the deep end and started to drown." I paused I've never told anyone this before, "My dad saved me from drowning. He was my protector, my body guard, my dad..." Tears started coming down I pulled my head away from the phone and dried my eyes then pulled it back, "He left a year later and when he did that my whole world shattered. I've had the same reoccurring nightmare for the past nine years. I find myself stuck under water trying to breathe but I can't and I almost find air when its snatched away from me and then I wake up."

Lizzy was silent.

"That's why I'm afraid of the water, it's probably pathetic and stupid but that's why," I croaked.

Lizzy was still silent then finally spoke, "You are not pathetic and stupid Cassandra, far from it, look you don't have to go swimming with me, besides for the most part of it I just sit there and tan, but I do want you to come so bring an umbrella, a book, and tons of sunscreen because girl you are pale and I'm guessing you don't tan. I am not taking a lobster home."

I giggled, "I do burn pretty bad."

"Good then it's settled, I'll text you the directions of the pool-"

"Pool? We live close to a beach why we going to a pool?" I interrupted.

"I know a guy who works there and its less crowded. Now get moving because I expect to see you in two hours. No arguing your coming," With that she hung up.

I sighed here we go.

                                *                                      *                                    *                                 *

When we got to the pull we fortunately found some laid out chairs with an umbrella holder that way I wouldn't burn. Placing my umbrella into the umbrella holder I positioned it so it would be over me. Lizzy was all ready to tan, she had on a poke a dot swimsuit while I had on swim shorts and a t-shirt. I was not getting burnt nor did I have any intention of swimming. I had taken a shower thrown my hair up into a ponytail, grabbed sunscreen, sunglasses, and an umbrella and was out the door in no time. I had stopped at the bookstore on the way and bought a book I've wanted to read in like forever.

"Okay I know I said to bring a book, but you have to occasionally talk to me otherwise I'll fall asleep and get to tanned on one side," Lizzy said lying down on the chair.

Taking a seat I smiled, "No problem."

"Wow Lizzy we only just got here and you are already tanning?" A guy asked coming up.

Lizzy sat up, "You guys took to long we've been here for ten minutes."

"There was traffic," The guy argued.

Lizzy rolled her eyes, "Whatever Steven."

Steven? As in the guy Sam and Lizzy mentioned? Looking closely at him I saw he had curly blonde hair, brown eyes, and tan skin. He was wearing a white tank and red shorts.

"Where are the rest of the crew? I thought you brought the van?" Lizzy asked.

"They're coming relax I ran in to see if I could get some seats saved because Sam said you never save seats for anyone," Steven answered.