Chp 24. The Rescue

Ugh. Heat, sun, people; a bunch of things that I hate thrown together.

"Come on Cassandra come jump in!" Tanner yelled at me on the diving board.

"I'm good," I waved at him from underneath my shady tree.

"Suit yourself!" Tanner jumped off into a cannon ball making water go everywhere.

Tanner emerged his black hair in his eyes, "Beat that Warren!"

Warren smirked, "Believe me. I will."

Warren went running off the diving board then tucked in for a cannon ball spreading the water further this time. Warren surfaced his hair sticking up at all ends.

"Who won Richie?" Warren asked his brother.

"Definitely you bro!" Rick yelled.

"Not fair he's your brother!" Tanner pouted.

"I won, your just jealous!" Warren playfully dunked Tanner back into the water.

Tanner submerged, "Jerk."

"Oh come on Tanner have a little fun," Rick said.

Warren turned his gaze to me, "Come on Cassandra the water's great!"

"For the last time I'm perfectly fine under my tree!" I yelled at him.

Warren shook his head then dunked Tanner again. I just rolled my eyes and kept reading. The Kennish's were throwing a barbeque for all the employees at Mark's office which meant my dad was there. Plus a bunch of people I don't know which makes me super uncomfortable. Though I think the worst part was Warren's friends who had invited themselves over; I found that I did not take a liking to his friends; they're jerks worse than Warren.

"Warren, my man!" Joe shouted on the diving board, "This is how you do a cannon ball!"

Out of nowhere all five of this friends jumped off the diving board together making the biggest splash ever. I rolled my eyes guys are dumb.

My phone started playing and I jumped with excitement when I heard the ring tone.

"Hi Sam!" I greeted happily.

"Hey girlfriend," Sam greeted.

I sighed inwardly happy with Sam calling me his girlfriend. Then I started overthinking things, wait was I to excited? Did I need to chill out? Bring it down a notch? Nah, its Sam I act more myself when I'm around him.

"Are you free in the next thirty minutes?" Sam asked interrupting my thoughts.

"Yes!" I said totally ready to sneak out and ditch this dumb pool party.

"Wow you know if I didn't know better I would say you were doing something you hate right now or you're just bored," Sam joked.

"A little of both," I confessed, "My dad's boss threw a pool barbeque party and made me go."

Sam laughed, "Cassandra at a party full of strangers and hating life that sounds about right."

"It's torture," I complained.

"Well as soon as I'm done delivering this package I'll come get you," Sam said saving the day.

"Or I can just meet you somewhere," I quickly said.

Sam sighed, "You know I'm beginning to think you don't want me seeing were you live or meeting your parents."

Both answers were correct, for reasons I didn't want to tell him right now. I needed to distract him.