FIVE | painful irony

Start from the beginning

She wasn't sure what she wanted to do at that moment.

"Anyway, don't change the subject; you are definitely jealous when it comes to Bellamy." Yeah, she wanted to sucker punch him.

"I have to agree with the noob here," Monty chuckled as Ren frowned in mock offence. "Come on, Sparky, you can tell us. It might help, you know, getting it out."

At that point, she had given in with the both of them and sighed loudly, her shoulders deflating. "Okay! So maybe a I am jealous. They've just got this thing, you'd have to be stupid to not see it. I don't know if it's from their shared leadership or not, but they just click." She looked away from them, her voice growing smaller. "She deserves him. More than I do."

"Why would you say that?" Monty frowned in confusion, noticing how her face just fell.

"Because it's the truth," she looked down at her hands. "I'm a liability, especially towards him, I might be stronger now, but who's to say I won't break again? And if I do, I don't want him to feel like he had to fix me, I don't wanna hurt him. Clarke... She's everything I'm not. She's kind, caring, strong. Just like him... I'm me, the girl that turned to a drug just to see her dead best friend. Clarke deserves Bellamy and that's why I'm jealous."

A thick silence sat between all three of them and Carter dared to look up. She didn't want to say any of that out loud because that meant it was true, but she did, and it hurt to admit. Well, as they say; truth hurts.

Suddenly, Ren started to laugh and both Monty and Carter looked back at him with frowns and he shook his head, holding his hand up as he composed himself. "I'm sorry," he chuckled. "Okay I'm done." He let out an lengthy breath. "Are you stupid?"

Carter raised her eyebrows and turned to Monty, pointing lazily at Ren. "It's like this dude wants me to punch him."

"Hear me out," Ren rolled his eyes and turned to Monty. "Okay, do you see the way he looks at her?"

The offending boy nodded his head slowly.

"Every time that happens and you see it, say cabbage. I'll do the same thing and maybe then she won't be so idiotic."

"Cabbage?" Monty repeated with amusement.

"Cabbage." Ren affirmed and Monty nodded, agreeing to his stupid plan. Ren then turned his attention to Carter and shook his head in disappointment. "Damn Carter, I didn't think you were such a girl."

She blinked at him. "That is only mildly offending."

"I didn't take you for the jealous type."

"I didn't take you for the judging type-- oh wait," she feigned shock before sending him a flat look. "I did. And cut me some slack. It's been three months since I last saw him, I'm gonna get jealous."

"Who's jealous?" Another voice broke through and Carter's eyes widened.

"Cart-" Before Ren could answer Bellamy, Carter slapped her hand over his mouth as hard as she could.

"-I am." She turned to smile at Bellamy innocently. "I'm jealous because you all got to drive Doris while I was away and I missed her."

"Doris?" Bellamy raised his eyebrows, laughing lightly.

Ren pushed Carter's hand away and glared at her. "Cabbage."