4th of January 2015

4th of January 2015.

Max woke up feeling better than he had in weeks. There was a new sense of hoping floating around him, and he was embracing it full force.

He wasn't going to get evicted, he was keeping his apartment. And it was all because of the woman asleep in the spare bedroom. When Max saw her yesterday, he never thought in a millions years he would be letting her stay here, but what choice did he have? She had offered him a piece of jewellery that looked like it was worth a fortune, all so he could keep his flat. The least he could do was share it with her.

Max gets up and makes his way to the kitchen for his morning coffee, moving quietly to not wake Isabelle. As the kettle boiled, he started to think of a plan.

How was he going to teach Isabelle about life again. It was clear that she had forgotten some major things and he wasn't sure as to whether he should be trying to jog her memory or starting a fresh.

No, start a fresh. Treat everything like she had never seen it before and tread carefully. The last thing he wanted to do was overwhelm her.

"Good morning sir" Isabelle knocks him out of his thoughts. He was so lost in them that he didn't even hear her come in.

"Good morning. Also, you don't have to call me sir, Max is fine," he tells her. Sir felt far too formal for the arrangement they had going on.

"I'll remember that sir, I mean Max," she quickly corrects herself with a smile. She really did have a very beautiful smile.

"Coffee?" Max offers her.

Once again she looks at him confused. The teaching moments start now then.

"Coffee is a hot drink, similar to tea but a lot more bitter. It can help you wake up," he tells her.

Now Isabelle really was confused. She had never heard of a drink to help her wake up, she already was awake! But she knew if she was going to fit in here, she needed to try and learn about everything on offer. First things first, coffee!

"Yes please"she tells him, watching in awe as he assembled the drink. It seems now that water bottles simply at the flip of a switch, no waiting around for the pot to finally boil on the stove. It really was all fascinating.

He hands her her coffee and they head into the living room. Once again, the moving box goes on.

"What do you call this?" She asks.
"Television, or tv for short," Max tells her, "we use it for entertainment or information. You can get messages from around the world on here, or it's used to watch movies and shows. Kind of like going to the theatre but you don't have to leave your home."

Now this was a magical thing. Isabelle loved the theatre, she couldn't believe that all that wonder was here, at the finger tips.

"Truly amazing," she whispers. Max smiles at her, her innocence was really quite endearing.

"So, what would you like to do today?" He asks her. Max had the whole day off work and was ready to show her the wonders of the modern world. "We should probably sort the bracelet and the rent first though," he reminds her. Once that was out of the way, they were free to do as they pleased.

"I do not know, what is there to do here? I'm not familiar with any of it, but if it's as wondrous as the television than I am more than ready to begin!" She exclaims, radiating excitement. Max laughs at her. It was quite nice to see the wonder at every day things, like watching a child. He wished he had that kind of excitement about life.

"Well, first things first, let's eat and get dressed and then we'll begin our day. I hope eggs and bacon are good for you?" 

And there was that confused look again. He was going to have to get used to that!