Two Times The Fun

Start from the beginning

•••

Their rain boots playfully stepped in every puddle they could possibly find. Riley clutched tightly to Lucas' right arm as he held tightly to her and onto the umbrella that he held over their heads. Their conversation brought smiles to those entering and leaving the hospital. Causing all eyes to fall on the young couple that were beyond ecstatic for their first ultrasound.

"What do you think we'll be having?" Riley asked, resting her head on Lucas' shoulder. They had finally checked in and were sitting and waiting very impatiently in the waiting room.

"Do we even find that out yet at this ultrasound?"

"I guess it really all depends on how developed the baby is." Riley responded, now fiddling with the end of Lucas' jackets sleeve.

"Well, all I know is that it's possible it won't be the first one. My mom explained to me that we have many more to do."

Lucas went on explaining that the ultrasounds to come after deal with mainly the babies health. Always checking to make sure that nothing is wrong with the baby. Riley continued to tentatively watch his lips move, and the sound of his voice soon faded as Riley's heart filled with worry.

"Lucas.." She whispered, interrupting him mid-sentence.

"Yes, darling?" He asked, allowing a small smile to form on his face. But when his eyes met hers, it soon faded away.

The excitement that had filled his eyes awhile now, quickly were replaced with concern as he looked down at her. The look of fear showed its way onto Riley's face as she continued to avert her eyes away from Lucas'. This was the last look Lucas had ever wanted to see on his wife's face.

"Riles, honey, what's wrong?" Lucas mumbled, gently placing his left hand on top of hers.

She opened her mouth to speak, but quickly shut it, shaking her head. "It's just-"

"What?" Lucas asked, furrowing his eyebrows together.

After his eyes had pleaded long enough, Riley finally looked up into them.

Lucas watched as she softly placed her hand on her stomach, and the other gripped tightly to his. "What if something happens to our baby?"

A small, reassuring smile appeared on Lucas' lips. He removed his hand that was already resting on top of hers, and gently placed it upon the one that rested on her stomach.

"Nothing.." Lucas whispered, staring at their resting hands and then moved his eyes to hers. "Is going to happen to our baby."

Riley shook her head. "But what if something does? What if it gets.. Something that we can't get rid of?"

Lucas held Riley's gaze before he spoke. He understood her concern and he had been worrying about it as well. But for Riley's sake, he had tried to hide it. All he wanted for her, was for her to be happy.

"Then I guess that just means we love our child no matter what happens. I can't promise you that nothing bad could happen, and I know that's not what you want to hear. But I can promise you that we're going to be okay."

After a few seconds, Riley finally smiled; a true genuine one. Just as she went to place her head back down onto his shoulder, a young nurse walked in with a clipboard in her hand.