College Party (Part 1)

9:47

The Algebra book laid wide open on the edge of Riley's bed, with her face plastered to the page she was supposedly doing for homework.

She had already finished all of her other assignments that she had for homework, but it was always Algebra that took her the longest. To learn, and to complete. Riley had only made it halfway through her homework before she had begun to feel her eyes droop to a close; allowing her body to be pulled into a deep sleep. Riley was so sound asleep, she didn't even wake up to the noise of Maya entering their dorm room.

"Alright, Matthews!" Maya announced as she approached Riley's bed. "It's time that you stop playing it safe and actually have some fun for once in your life."

With no answer from a still sleeping Riley, Maya gripped the algebra book and yanked it out from under Riley's head.

Riley's head hit the blankets harder than she had expected, forcing her awake.

"What was that for?" Riley asked drowsily, the slits of her eyes opening only a little. "I was doing my homework."

Maya scoffed as she threw the Algebra book onto the floor. "More like drooling on it. Have fun trying to open that page again."

Riley pushed herself up into a sitting position, her legs dangling off the edge as she faced Maya. She rubbed her eyes gingerly as Maya impatiently tapped her foot against the wood floors.

"Why did you wake me?" Riley asked, running her hand through her tangled hair.

"We-" Maya said with a smile as she kneeled down in front of Riley's dresser. "Are going to a party."

Party.

That one word had automatically woken Riley. Her eyes grew wide and her hands went still as she continued to watch her best friend dig through her drawers.

"A-a party?"

"Yes my no fun best friend. We are going to a party, together. I'm sick of going to them alone."

Riley furrowed her eyebrows as Maya threw a dress into her lap. "You go to the parties here?"

Maya shrugged as she walked over to her side of the room, kicking her boots off and trading them for her converse. "Sometimes, but not all the time. I promise I still do my homework."

Riley's lips pressed into a thin line as she stared at the purple dress that her hands held. "Why do I have to go?"

"Like I said, I don't like going alone. Plus, you haven't even left this dorm room our whole freshman year to actually go do something fun."

"Well," Riley objected. "Lucas and I went and saw the new Star Wars movie last wee-"

"That doesn't count." Maya said, her voice stern. "All you do at movies is sit there and watch a screen. You don't actually talk or move."

"Lucas and I talked."

"Yes, and I'm sure you probably annoyed everyone around you. But you're missing the whole point. It's time for you to get the full college experience."

Riley pushed herself off the bed, dropping the dress behind her. "Maya, I can still have the full college experience without going to a party. I meet people in my classes and sometimes just in the hallway. I don't need to go to a party to get the full effect."